question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

VRM on iPad2 is not loading

Hi,

Just noticed that VRM portal stopped working on my iPad2.

I got a blank screen.

VRM
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

Any help in making my iPad2 load VRM web page would by appreciated.

Or maybe someone from Victron would tell me that my iPad2 is no longer supported by new VRM system.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Teun Lassche avatar image
Teun Lassche answered ·

Hi!

We don't actively support the iPad 2, surprised to hear that it worked before! If I have a spare moment I'll have a quick look for you to see if we can do a small fix for your device, can't promise anything though

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Any update on this ? I was just looking at an iPad 2 as a touch-screen for VRM and possibly Node-Red together. Do you /Did you display VRM in a browser or is it an app, and which one ? Many thanks,

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
That is old. What IOS does it support?

There is little support on old versions due to structural changes that are required within IOS/IPADOS so unlikely the app will work.

Old safari versions might render the portal, but even that may have issues.

Current ipads and OS should work fine.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks @nickdb, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a recent iPad like £800 or whatever they are. What kind of generation iPad would you imagine would still work for a while ?

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Does it need to be Apple?

Maybe look for an Android tablet.

1 Like 1 ·
Anything that runs v17 should be ok.
0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Just had a look at Generation 10 iPads which seem to be the earliest running v17 and they are several hundred quid so Android it is !
0 Likes 0 ·

No not at all, in fact I don't really want Apple but I read a thread that seemed to suggest the iPad OS might work better than Android for use as a VRM screen with a browser to have Node-Red access as well. I am OK with Android so maybe I'll look for a sensible tablet instead.

Thanks,

2 |3000

Sorry, one more question! What level of Android would anyone think would work OK for a few more years ? (To have display/touch-screen capability for VRM and Node-Red).

2 comments
2 |3000

IIRC they only test for current and previous 2 versions. So you need to factor in version changes over those years. In short, I would get a semi-current version if you want it to last.
0 Likes 0 ·

Everything below Android 8 has been kicked out with VC 6.

Android 8 is around 7 years old. The current Android version is 14.

I would recommend to look for a device that is coming with 14 or can be updated to 14.

I'm sure you can get a suitable new tablet for under 200€/$/£

It also depends on what else you want to do with the tablet.

0 Likes 0 ·

Nothing else to do with it really, I just want to stick it to the wall and be able to glance across the room at it and see instantly whether all is well, it would save me turning on the phone or laptop and waiting for it to connect every time I come into the house. I know a Touch 50 would let me do that but I also want to be able to check and change things on my Node-Red dash depending on the situation which the Touch couldn't do (could it ?).

2 |3000