question

damian-haas avatar image
damian-haas asked

Alternator and solar panel to PPP 40 (not or)?

Hi.

I would like to connect both, alternator and solar panel to my PPP 40 (not or). Can I do this with Schottky diodes (max. 30A, see specs attached)? Or do I need to selected the charge input (alternator or solar) via a switch, which of course is less comfortable. Thank you for your feedback. Damian

atenblatt-1582139-tru-components-schottky-diode-gleichrichter-tc-sbx3040-p600-40-v-einzeln.pdf

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
maarten2 avatar image
maarten2 answered ·

Yes Damian, this is possible. The FAQ in the PPP manual mentions that you need a diode bridge to avoid return current. Both + wires each should get a diode inserted in the same direction (cathode pointing to the + connector of the battery).

I have done the same with Schottky diodes in my caravan to feed the car/solar input. Only difference: the sources are here the car alternator and the 12V coming from the Schaudt CSV300 230 VAC > 12 VDC transformer. I don’t use the standard 3A loader coming with the PPP (too slow). You need to use pin 5 on the CSV300, this connector delivers only 12 V when the 230VAC is present, bypassing the relay. This will overcome an “endless charging loop” between the domestic output and the charging input, only draining the PPP.

My solar panels load the PPP via a Victron MPPT 75/15 connected to the domestic output.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.