question

ofrabjousday avatar image
ofrabjousday asked

Easy Solar 2, Overload fault at low load, AC output voltage fluctuation and loud buzzing on startup and during operation

Hey there,

A few details to start with, I’ve just recently had a off grid setup installed the heart of which is the Victron EasySolar-II 48/3000/35, 32 MPPT 250/70 Gx. It has a lead acid battery bank and a PV array to charge, there is no grid connection and no generator connection, although a plug has been wired in for future generator use.
My setup is used to power a tiny house and is situated in a waterproof well ventilated trailer near the PV array, from there we run a 15amp extension cable to the tiny house 35mt away. our power usage is low and consists of charging a small 12v system for lights, 350w ac water pump, small fridge, computers and some situational devices.

I purchased the easy solar unit new and Installation was undertaken by a certified electrician, after installation we tested the system and it ran our small 350w water pump fine and continued to run computers, fridge and pump for the rest of that day and evening. However, the next day it tripped out on overload, after some testing I’ve dertermined these symptoms:

• Inverter will trip out on overload immediately when under more than 300w (ish) load
  • Inverter will trip out on overload sometimes with only resting 10w load
  • The inverter now makes a loud buzzing sound from start up, seems to be coming from the toroidal transformer, or that region.
  • With no load on the inverter AC output voltage fluctuates from 230v to 105v and back, this fluctuation is noticeable also when you plug a hairdryer in on fan only as a stutter in the sound of the fan.
  • The loud buzzing and Ac output voltage fluctuations are still present even with everything physically disconnected except battery inputs.

The electrician who installed has been back to assess the installation and is confident that all connections and tight and in correct positions, their advice is to communicate with the company I purchased the unit from and organise a warranty claim. Thought I would check in here and see if that is the consensus, also if there is any particular connections that I should triple check that could cause these issues.

Hopefully I have provided enough information of circumstances surrounding the issue, let me know if you need anything more to properly troubleshoot.

cheers

EasySolar All-in-One
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ofrabjousday avatar image ofrabjousday commented ·

Just a quick update, seems that it was a faulty unit as the replacement unit has been installed and is working as expected with no changes to the installation environment. waiting to hear what the fault was, will post here once I find the out.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That is not very good at all.
The first thing that springs to my mind is a problem on the DC side, as if the EasySolar does not have a good connection to the battery. You didn't mention if you had checked if the DC Voltage is stable right at the DC input terminals of the actual inverter /charger in the EasySolar. Fluctuations from a bad connection or bad circuit breaker / fuse would cause all sorts of problems when inverting.

If you are absolutely certain that all connections both AC and DC are sound and correct, then pursue a warranty replacement with your supplier.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ofrabjousday avatar image ofrabjousday commented ·

Thanks for your speedy response and confirmation of my suspicions. I double checked everything was correctly installed and that the voltage was stable at the inverter, which it was. then went down the replacement path, new unit installed and I now have a working system.

Cheers

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Is aes inabled?

2 |3000

renz avatar image
renz answered ·

Hey Tom, just bring in back, we have another one here. What's the serial number for the E-RMA?

2 |3000