question

ah64id avatar image
ah64id asked

MPPT 100/20 Expert Equalization mode

I have a MPPT 100/20 SmartSolar controller. I am trying to get the equalization mode to last longer than 1 hour.

I have enabled expert mode, set the time to 8 hours and start an equalization but it gives me a note about 1 hour and only goes that long.

How do I get it to last for the time I specify? My battery manual calls for an 8 hour conditioning, not a 1 hour one.

3f8eb277-cbcb-45e3-95e5-9bd1c3cd6789.png

equalisation
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I don't think you are interpreting battery manual correctly.

Please post a copy/link of your battery manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
ah64id avatar image ah64id klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Very difficult to interpret this wrong... But thanks anyways.

The conditioning charge should then be applied for 8 hours. At 77°F the conditioning voltage should be set to 15.5V for a 12-volt battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
ah64id avatar image
ah64id answered ·

It looks like the controller will use the set time for an automatic equalization, but not a manual one. That seems a little silly so I emailed victron about it.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The Victron settings will probably not boil your battery dry....

This is a gentle bump.

There are lots of smart ppl on the Victron Communities..

Some will actually have a strong opinion biased on their experiences..

0 Likes 0 ·

Boiling the battery dry really is not a concern for me with my battery type, the issue is more that expert mode is limited in it's operation when it shouldn't be.

Assuming boiling the battery dry was a concern, its more likely with how they have it setup now since I could could have the automatic enabled to occur for up to 14 hours a day every day, vs the manual mode would only be when manually started.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ ah64id commented ·

You still have not shared any details about your battery..

Would you like some advice? Perhaps not..

0 Likes 0 ·

What does my battery have to do with the modes on the controller? You're way too concerned about the batteries and not looking at the issue I asked about.

You are creating an issue where one doesn't exist, and focusing on an aspect that isn't relevant to the original question.

I'd appreciate some advice and help, but on what I asked about not on a tangent.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic