question

Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos asked

Maintaining lithium ion battery while not in use

Hi all

I have a 4KWH li-ion battery in my camper with a SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 and a MultiPlus 12/1200/50. Sometimes I don't use the camper for a month or so, so I'm wondering what will be the best way to maintain the battery when not in use.

Should I simply leave the camper connected to mains electricity so that the Multiplus takes care of the battery, or should I rather connect a small solar panel to the SmartSolar for maintenance charging?

If solar, I was thinking to put a small solar panel on the roof of its parking spot, how big should this panel be, will a 30W panel giving around 1.6A be fine for this?

Lithium Battery
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robbo avatar image robbo commented ·

Lithium’s don’t like to be left at 100% charge (it’s actaully one of the worst things you can do to them), they like to be left at 50%, so if leaving for a long time I would disconnect totally and leave at 50% SoC.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

From the information that you have a 12 v system, you must have a LiFePO4 battery.

I'd set the MPPT charge voltage at 13 v, and turn off the Multi and any other users.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources