question

Dale avatar image
Dale asked

Victron Multiplus 5000VA 48v conversion to accept 24v battery banks

Hi all,

I have had this system in about 4 years now, I really want to move over to lithium battery system however it's too expensive for me to do so on a 48v system.

What options do I have to convert the battery output from 24v to 48v with an inverter. I am aware this will effect my AH output of the battery system too.

Thanks in adavance.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

This is not practical to do. Basically, you'd need a DC-DC converter which can provide 200A constantly and 400A peak. If you could find something like that it'd likely cost a lot more than a 24V MultiPlus. Then the losses would be quite high.

I'm curious as to how you have managed to find a 24V battery system cheaper than the multitude of 48V batteries available. I tried to find sensibly priced 24V battery systems and the 48V options were always cheaper all in. Even a set of cells for a DIY build 24V bank cost a lot more than a Pylontech battery set - for example.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dale avatar image
Dale answered ·

what I mean by cheaper is if I was to buy a lithium battery system at 48v it would cost me a lot more than a lithium battery system at 24v. I currently used AGM Marathon battery's however some need replacing. Might just replace if its going to cost me a new inverter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Dale its easier work in Kw stored capacity as its easier for most to calculate the real stored power in the battery bank.

ie L/A 48v 200 A/H is 9.6Kw of stored power if its lead acid then you can only use 50% max or 4.8Kw (when new and this falls off quickly if you cycle them)

Lithium is 51.2v 100 A/H is 5.1Kw usable 4.6Kw at 90% Discharge (if you cycle them the fall off is very low ie after 4000 cycles you still have around 80% of there original capacity)

so look for a smaller bank, the liFeP04 should be cheaper then L/A these days.

A lead acid battery size you can only use a MAX 50%

a Lithium phosphate you can use 100% but most recommend max discharge to 90%

so with the extra efficiencies you get from Lifep04 you only need about half the size bank to give you the same usable power.

and they last Soooo much longer

0 Likes 0 ·
Carlos Carvalho avatar image
Carlos Carvalho answered ·

split the bank in two and run them in series so you have 48V .

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic