question

jeremycorbett avatar image
jeremycorbett asked

Long term Lithium battery storage

I have a 200AH lithium battery fitted to an offroad camping trailer.

I currently use a Blue Smart 12V 15A charger for AC/DC charging

I have a BMV-700 battery monitor, a Phoenix 500w inverter and a SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 connected.

I will be leaving the battery in storage for anything up to 12 months at a time and am concerned about how to manage the battery over long periods of time.

I understand the best thing to do is to disconnect all small loads and store it at 100% charge, then charge it once every 4 months or so.

Is there anything Victron produce that will help? Does anyone have any idea of how to remotely manage this over GPRS?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Are you getting any solar energy while in storage? If so, that should be enough to keep the batteries topped off.

Lithium batteries have an extremely low self-discharge and are quite happy at low SOC as long as they aren't completely discharged. (Lead-acid batteries need to be kept at 100% SOC to prevent sulfation.)

Assuming you get no solar at all, if you disconnect EVERYTHING from the battery including the BMV and MPPT then your battery should go 12 months without recharging.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

northcaptain avatar image northcaptain commented ·
For storage what about the Bluetooth radio that is constantly on ?
0 Likes 0 ·
msmolow avatar image
msmolow answered ·

For long term storage (over 3 months) my understanding is Lithium should preferably be at 50% SOC.

2 comments
2 |3000

dirk-s avatar image dirk-s commented ·
Correct
0 Likes 0 ·
tim-henderson avatar image tim-henderson dirk-s commented ·
I have a similar situation. I know I am going to store my trailer for more than 3 months. I would expect my lithium batteries to be at 100% SOC when I put it in storage, but I put it in covered storage so no solar. I see here it states they should be stored at 50%.

Is there a best practice for reducing them to 50% or anything the Multiplus would do to manage to 50% SOC then disconnect?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources