question

kim-hilding avatar image
kim-hilding asked

Battery protect 220A, voltage drop

Have a BP 220 unit. IN-pin connetcted to plus on Li bat with fuse inbetween. Also connected to IN-pin there is a multiplus and a smart solar connected.

When I add load through the BP I got voltage drop when turning on smal consumers from 13.4 to 12.9v (lamps). When using bowthruster och windlash the system shuts down totaly.

If I remvoe the BP everything works fine, what is the problem?

I have bought a second BP and I got the same behaviour with that one.

Best regards

Kim

Multiplus-IIMPPT SmartSolarBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel answered ·

Hi @kim-hilding,

Do you also get the same voltage drop after connecting small consumers to the battery directly?

Which program did you select for the BP 220?

Jan

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kim-hilding avatar image kim-hilding commented ·

If I remove the bp220 both small and big consumers works fine!

I have tested all 3 programs and also diffrent voltage settings in normal mode.

0 Likes 0 ·
tpuisto avatar image tpuisto kim-hilding commented ·

I've exactly same problem. Victron says that SBP is the product to protect. It is impossible to deal with that company - no responses. I did purchase mine also this spring ... maybe they just messed up the whole RnD or batch.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Can you confirm the correct orientation of the BP?

Is the battery connected to IN and the loads to OUT? You would get that voltage drop if it is connected in reverse. Please check that again and maybe make some pictures of your installation.

I never had a problem like that and it is unlikely that you have two defective units.

2 comments
2 |3000

Yes, i am absolutely sure, two friends with good electrical background can assure the connection. First time I made the mistake to mount the multiplus and solar regulator on OUT and I thought the behaviour that time was because of wrong placement and the unit was destroyed so I bought a new one and this time I put the inverter and solar regulator on IN and all consumers on OUT! Same behaviour as first time. Then I disconnect the solar and inverter from IN and still have same problem.

0 Likes 0 ·

Returned 2pcs and got refund but they couldn't answer if they where broken or not. I bought a third one and installed it in the same way as the others, this time it worked fine. Surprise, must be some manufacturing issues I guess.

0 Likes 0 ·
freighttrain avatar image
freighttrain answered ·

I'm having the same issue on a client's boat. Windlass draws only 100 Amps but the BP220 shuts down the whole DC side. Just disconnects long enough that now all navigation equipment has to reboot. Not ideal.

2 |3000