question

chrisgru avatar image
chrisgru asked

Locked rotor amp draw, 4 ton AC unit - how large of an inverter(s) (scared to ask lol)

Hi Everyone,

I have an older Carrier Infiniity central air conditioning unit. The condenser is model

24aNA748A003. The specs for this condenser show. 104 amp locked rotor draw (240v). That's alot of power!

Can anyone comment on whether a single 15k Quattro seems likely to be able to start this thing?

I presently have a 5k Quattro which I think is too small for this. I would consider upgrading to a single 15k unit if that seems large enough.

Thanks

Chris

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

15K / by 220 is 68 amps it can overload and it may do the 104 startup MAYBE. but f you add a softstart to the air con compressor you should be fine as the start current would reduce a lot this way.

Testing is the only way ti know for sure

batteries also have to be able to deliver the amps as well without any dramatic voltage drops

also a 15Kw inverter is only 48 volts

if you are 24 volts then maybe 4 quattros in parallel is the way to go, VERY short battery cables and a good lithium BANK

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.