question

aldo avatar image
aldo asked

Victron GX and battery LiFePo4 battery compatibility

I found on the forum the list of batteries with BMS compatible with Victron but it seems to date back to 2019, I think from 2019 to 2021 many things have changed, some products linked are not even on the market anymore.

I am intent on purchasing a Meritsun powerwall battery system to connect to my Victron quattro 10kw and Venux GX. I am concerned about compatibility.

The manufacturer of course says it can be connected without problems but that is of course the manufacturer's opinion.

To be honest, this company responds to my emails super fast, while another company like Pylontech listed won't even respond to a request for a quote.

Can anyone give me more suggestion?

BMSEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What list do you found?

This is the official compatibility list:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

The battery compatibility is actually not a list of compatible batteries, but a list of compatible BMS. Any battery will work, as long as you configure the battery parameters correctly (charge voltage, max. currents, etc, etc). A BMS helps to prevent damage to your batteries by preventing eg. overcharging, shutdown the system in case of undervoltage, overheating, etc, etc, etc.

Question is if the Victron Venus device (eg. CerboGX) can communicate with the battery BMS. At the very least it needs an 'Allowed to charge' and 'Allowed to discharge' signal. In the most dumbest form, it would be a relay switch turning on and off which the Quattro would detect. In a more advanced setup there would be eg. DVCC, so the Victron system also knows how much current it may either deliver or draw from the battery bank, get temperature readings, etc, etc.

Unfortunately the MeritSun website is absolute crap. I can't find any documentation on their site, and Google doesn't help either. Considering the lack of information on their website, I wouldn't buy their products.

From what I could find on Google Image Search it seems that their products have some kind of smart-BMS (so no dumb relay contacts). No relay contacts from what I could find on Google Images. So MeritSun's BMS is probably not compatible with Victron

2 |3000

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic