question

portablestructures avatar image
portablestructures asked

How to tie into grid with multiplus already purchased

image.jpgI have already purchased all of the above equipment to instal into a portable solar shed. My question is can I add any other equipment to this design so I can tie into the grid and sell power back to the power company?

Thanks Tom

grid
image.jpg (3.3 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

What you need to grid-tie depends on your local power company rules. Check with them to see what you need.

The following article provides some guidelines.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/ess-introduction---features.html

Victron specifies a Quatro (not MultiPlus) when feed-in and generator are combined because the control system needs to know which source feeds the Multi. Feed-in to the generator would be an extremely bad idea.

You don't say what size Multi you are running but your 4/0 wire sizes suggest a problem with your battery connections. As drawn, you'll pull 5/6 of the Multi's DC current through one 1/0 cable!!! The best way to connect this many batteries is to run each battery to the Lynx distributor and fuse each separately. If that's not possible, find a place near the batteries to create a star configuration with equal length cables to each battery. If for some reason the only way to wire the batteries is as you've drawn, you at least need to increase the jumpers to 4/0.

You certainly don't need 4/0 wire for your frame ground connections. The only current in these connections would be fault current so you just need a large enough wire to blow the associated fuse.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic