question

dewitpj avatar image
dewitpj asked

Internal interface protection on Multi/Quattro - external devices ?

When I try to set the grid to NZ I get a warning about the internal interface protection. It is my understanding that this is to disconnect the device from the Grid if there is a grid failure to avoid back feeding.

What is the recommended external device that will achieve this ?

grid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have a look around thgis web address and see if that helps

2.4 Anti-islanding

ESS always requires anti-islanding. This is also true for a No feed-in-system.

For several countries the built-in anti-islanding in our products can be used. For example the MultiGrid in Germany, and the MultiPlus in the United Kingdom. See certificates on our website for details.

In case there is no certified product available for the country of installation, install external anti-islanding.

More details here: VEConfigure: grid codes & loss of mains detection.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual#anti-islanding

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dewitpj avatar image dewitpj commented ·

Right - I got that, but then how do I tell the Victron that I have done this so that I can select the right grid - kinda pointless having the grid setting that can never be selected ?

0 Likes 0 ·
mr-g avatar image
mr-g answered ·

I have exactly the same problem as Hugo, running a easy solar (multiplus, mppt charger, CCGX 5kva model), can any one at Victron answer this question.

2 |3000

hugo avatar image
hugo answered ·

I deleted my previous comment, sorry Mr-G, didn't see your comment. I think I might have more information, but I'm not sure if it's accurate. When you follow the links in the answer from Paul B, you will see that Victron tells you, not all Multi/Quattro models will work in all countries, with regards to being able to run the ESS system (Nobody told me before I bought my Quattro!)

So they recommend that you look at their website for a certificate for your product and your country code. It's not easy, but looking through the certificates I found Quattro inverters certified for my grid code, however not my 240 V unit, just the 120 V ones.

So I'd have to assume that my inverter won't work in my country, that's why I can't select my grid code. Victron then recommends that you install external anti islanding equipment, see this link https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Anti-islanding-solutions-EN.pdf it's expensive!

What they don't tell you is how to configure VE Configure, once you've installed your anti islanding device, because to run the ESS system, you are forced to choose a grid code and the only one you can choose (without choosing the wrong country) is to choose, not compliant to any grid code standard and then choose LOM type B (safe). If you want to disable LOM on one input for use with generator, it will ask for password (Quattro has two AC inputs)

So Victron, is that correct? I hope you will respond to say I'm wrong and that my inverter can run in my country (without additional equipment), just be sure to let us know how please

1 comment
2 |3000

dewitpj avatar image dewitpj commented ·

Yes, this is the same issue I have - how does the Victron know that you have installed the AI device...I am sure we are missing something here since they wouldn't have all of this done for a device that can't work in those grids

0 Likes 0 ·
mr-g avatar image
mr-g answered ·

Thank you Hugo. This at least point me in the right direction. First the dealer sold me this system and told me it will work as specified. They can't sell stuff and later on it does not work as specified. I will check certificates. If it does not comply it will go back to dealer and i will buy SMA which work as advertised.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic