question

andrewb avatar image
andrewb asked

ESS with SMA on-grid inverters in parallel

ESS with victron quattro+CCGX+grid-meter and SMA on-grid inverters in parallel (hub-4). Can ESS control pv-inverters generation for zero feed-in?

ESSgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

No it cannot.
When the batteries are fully charged the Quattro's cannot prevent feed-in.
As far as I know only certain Fronius inverters can achieve zero feed-in being controlled by the Venus device.
I don't know if (other) sunspec compatible inverters can be regulated, someone else has to answer that one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes you can but you would need to setup assistants to achieve this

1 comment
2 |3000

andrewb avatar image andrewb commented ·

What assistants?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

This is what I use.

I use the Freq shift but you have to control when you want the grid, ie if the batteries are say above 95% (thats LP) then you need to turn the grid off otherwise the Inverter cant freq shit to shut the PV units down.

this can be done with assistants. as per my screen pictures.

I then use Generator autostart and stop to turn the grid on and off when needed, as it can control the assistants. ie when to turn AC1 in ON and OFF

Takes a bit to get your head around it but it works well for ME

NOTE frequency shift on your grid tie inverters has to WORK so test it first.

best way to test it is , setup ethe ESS assistant ONLY . make sure everything is working in the ESS

Then go to the multi screen on the CCGX when the batteries are nearly full with good sun on the PV and you can see the current frequency there.

Manually turn OFF the mains main switch watch the Freq it should go up to the settings you set in the ess and the PV should turn off or de rate.

if battery voltage starts to go to high on the batteries turn the mains BACK ON as the freq shift is not working. then talk to your SMA supplier on how to adjust the units. or check with them FIRST

1552826989711.png (27.7 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

andrewb avatar image andrewb commented ·

victron quattro and SMA on-grid inverters in parallel (hub-4)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic