question

stridaflo avatar image
stridaflo asked

MPPT Temperature Setting for 25°C

Dear all,

The manufacturer of my AGM battery recommends a temperature compensation of -4mV per Cell around 25°C. However it looks like that the neutral point for the victron MPPT is set at 20°C. Is theres a way to adapt this temperature compensation point?

Thanks in advance!

Florian

temperature compensation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @stridaflo

Vicron use 25C (77F) as the base point, and it's not adjustable.

If you're using a standalone mppt, then be aware that it only applies the T correction when it starts up at daybreak, and doesn't follow faithfully all day as batt temp rises. This is unfortunate, as the mppts have an internal sensor subject to their own T, but the workaround is to compensate with the target V settings, usually downwards a little, as most/many batts will warm as the day does.

With a fully-fledged system they can be arranged to compensate on-the-fly. I'm not suggesting you step up to additional kit for this reason alone, but it's something to consider if you're a perfection seeker.. :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stridaflo avatar image
stridaflo answered ·

John thanks for your feedback!

I have an Victron MPPT 75/15. Where did you find the information concerning the temperature base point? I just searched the online manual but found nothing helpful.

Thanks in advance!

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@stridaflo

The VictronConnect manual https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/MPPT_Solar_Charge_Controllers/en/settings.html has this..

1619578828328.png

But of course there's conflicting info out there, and it's still possible to find 20C mentioned, maybe a historical thing.

Proof is in the pudding though. I have a 48V bank with -100mV/degC entered for TC, and with T reported in round numbers, I see the steps in the resultant target V's clearly. Trust me, it starts at base 25C, and as I have T supplied remote from the mppt, it compensates on-the-fly.

Proof from VRM graphs is available on request for nonbelievers.. :)

1619578828328.png (120.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic