question

Jonathan Phillips avatar image
Jonathan Phillips asked

Parallel connection problems.

HI Everyone.

I have two Multiplus 600/40 inverter chargers. When I try to parallel them they shut down as soon as I connect the cat 5 cable to both of them. I have upgraded the firmware but I still have a problem. One inverter is much older than the other but they are the same model.

battery charging
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Beanyboy,

Can you confirm you have read the parallel manual?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

1 Like 1 ·
Jonathan Phillips avatar image Jonathan Phillips Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Guy. Yes I have read the parallel manual. My inverters are connected a a battery bank but they are connected to different terminals on the battery bank where the batteries are connected in parallel. The configuration is 3 in series connected to 3 in series then they are connected in parallel. I can see that there may be a slight voltage difference sometimes between the terminals (eg: 27.42v and 27.43v). I have not used a bus bar in this case. I believe now that I need to connect both multis to a bus bar so that there can not be any DC voltage difference at all. I will fix this up this afternoon and then let you know if that if that solves my issues. Am I on the right track?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jonathan Phillips avatar image Jonathan Phillips Jonathan Phillips commented ·

I have connected all positive and negative connections from the battery to bus bars and from the bus bars to the inverters. I will try again maybe tomorrow to parallel the Multiplus inverters.

Thank you for the cable for the battery monitor, it arrived today. Yay!

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

check to make sure that they are on the same version of firmware on each one

I presume you can done the configuration for multi as well and not just plugged them together.

please list the steps you have done configuring these in detail

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jonathan Phillips avatar image
Jonathan Phillips answered ·

I have used the configurator tools and Color Control to update the firmware

I have connected them to the same 24v battery bank but on different terminals to help with balancing the cells. Is this a problem? Maybe they need to be on the same terminals? All the cables are the same type and same length.

All cables are connected via a bus bar

One 1600/40 multiplus is older than the other but they are the same model. CMP241620000 However the serial numbers are quite different. I am not sure if this is important.

hq1809gk5u7 and 11250402067

I turned them off first and disconnected the AC power

I disconnected the Color Control

I followed the process to connect them with the Cat5 cable and then set them up as master and slave

The older multiplus is happy to be set as the master but the new multiplus just shuts down. Then I have to reset them both to operate a single units to make them functional.

The older multiplus has very bright LED's the newer multiplus has very dull LED's. Is this important?

I am not an electrician, this is my hobby!

Regards

Jon

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi Beany. I can't help with your 'compatibility' issue, just this:

"I have connected them to the same 24v battery bank but on different terminals to help with balancing the cells. Is this a problem?"

Yes it's not good practice doing that. Without knowing your batt setup, lookee here: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html See especially the last couple of paragraphs.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic