question

pepvan avatar image
pepvan asked

Orion-Tr 12/24-20 installation

Hi again

In a previous post I shared the scheme of my Van electrical system. It is almost set now, but I have some small doubts...

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/33770/van-solar-electric-scheme-24v-and-12v.html?childToView=33841#answer-33841

Mostly about Negative / Ground

here I share a scheme with three options on how to connect Orion 12/24 to the negative busbar
which one is more correct?
a-b-c.png many thanks

Orion DC-DC Converters not smartsolar
a-b.png (213.1 KiB)
a-b-c.png (333.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If the busbar of the 24V battery is connected to ground/the chassis then every setup will work.
If not, only A will work.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pepvan avatar image
pepvan answered ·

Dear All,
I finally buit the scheme avove, and connected the busbar to the Van ground. All seems to work fine.

I have a question, when I leave my van in the parking, do I need to disconnect the Orion from the battery or it is fine to leave it connected. Sometimes, when parked (no engine running) the Orion gets a little hot (not much). Is that normal?

many thanks

2 |3000

pepvan avatar image
pepvan answered ·

More questions, sorry.

What wire thickness would you use from Van Battery (100A 12v) to the Orion TR12-24/20 (the lenght of the cable is 2m)? Thanks

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC-DC converters product page