waveform avatar image
waveform asked

Connecting Cerbo GX with MPPT Control solar monitor

This seems pretty basic. I have the following:

-MPPT 150|50 SmartSolar Charge Controller

-MPPT Control (Solar Monitor)

-BMV712 Smart Battery Monitor connected to shunt with RJ-12 cable

-Cerbo GX

By themselves, the 2 monitors work perfectly.

Introduce the Cerbo GX.

Using 3 VE.Direct cables, I have plugged the MPPT 150|50 into the Cerbo GX. And then the BMV712 and MPPT Control (monitor) into the other 2 Cerbo GX VE.Direct ports.

But nothing works with the Cerbo. Can't see the MPPT SmartSolar, or the BMV712 on the Cerbo GX Wifi interface. And the MPPT Control (Solar Monitor) doesn't even power on.

The Cerbo GX is working fine on Wifi, connects well, but absolutely no data from anything is coming through.

I can't imagine a simpler setup, so not sure why nothing works.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Waveform,

The MPPT Control is only intended to be connected directly to the VE.Direct port of the MPPT.

In your installation, the MPPT is connected to Cerbo GX, so there is no port available on the MPPT to connect it to.

The MPPT control is not designed to be connect to the Cerbo GX. Remove it, and then start from the top again with the Cerbo GX.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

waveform avatar image waveform commented ·

So there is no way to use the MPPT Control at all? That's not good - now I have a hole in my panel and a useless MPPT Control. I think the MPPT Control has an RJ12 plug on the back. Can I VE.Direct the MPPT to the Cerbo, then RJ12 the MPPT Control to the Cerbo? I'm trying to figure out a way to get the solar / battery info on the Cerbo as well as having a display of solar charging on my boat panel. Is there a different display unit from Victron that will work with both the Cerbo and the MPPT Charge Controller? I can cover the useless hole with it then and just chuck the MPPT Control display.

0 Likes 0 ·
waveform avatar image
waveform answered ·

There is a display unit specifically for the Cerbo GX called the GX Touch 50. This will replace the MPPT Control display which is not compatible with the Cerbo GX.

2 |3000

cpt-pat avatar image
cpt-pat answered ·

Waveform,

Thank you for your post. You just saved me a lot of money and headaches. I was about to do the same configuration as yours. Now I know it won't work. That's a pity, and I'm sorry for your misfortune.

As much as I would like to have the Cerbo for remote monitoring, that's only nice to have. Not being dependent on my smartphone at sea to manage my MPPT controller is a must. So I will have to stick with the MPPT Control, and skip implementing the Cerbo.

2 |3000

Related Resources