question

jesseafuchs avatar image
jesseafuchs asked

GX Tank 140 and SEELEVEL Senders!

Hi!

I was cruising the GX Tank 140 manual, and I had an idea! Please be easy, and I am just spitballing off the limited information I could find on the SEELEVEL system.

Unfortunately, I don't have my SEELEVEL senders yet as they are stuck over the border because I tried to save money on shipping to Canada .... so this idea may be way off but...

Does anyone know what the signal is sent back as from the SEELEVEL sender? Like is it 0-10v? Is it resistive? is it 4-20ma?

I was thinking that I could bypass the SEELEVEL display completely so I could view levels on a GX display or the Victron portal. I would Jump the GX Tank 140 internal power from channels 3 and 4 to channel 1 and 2, not remove any of the SEELEVEL sender tabs. then power the SEELevel senders individually sending the signals right back to the GX Tank 140! Viola!

gx device
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gbntx avatar image gbntx commented ·

It appears the SeeLevel senders are polled via serial data.

Read signal of an RV Tank Sensor https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=119614

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/support-documents/

"When the sender transmits the water or sewer level information to the display, it sends a digital code that has built in error detection, making it highly unlikely for the display to read an incorrect level, even if the wiring is marginal. In addition to the level, the sender
also transmits diagnostic information about its operation."

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
tlinn avatar image
tlinn answered ·

It would be nice if the GX Tank 140 could interface with SeeLeveL senders but, according to Garnet Instruments, their own display/interface is required. In fact, their display/interface eliminates the need for the GX Tank 140, connecting directly to the Cerbo GX. Personally, I would prefer to use the GX Tank 140 since the rest of my system is Victron and the GX Tank 140 is powered by a simple USB connection, but the absence of any directory of compatible sensors makes it hard to recommend. The compatible senders I've found on my own either require drilling into the tank or access to the bottom of it. The SeeLeveL senders, compatible with plastic tanks only, adhere to the side of a tank which makes for easy installation for anyone who has access to the side of their water tank.

It's worth noting that not every See LeveL display/interface is compatible with the Cerbo GX. It has to have a data output. Also note that the See LeveL interfaces that do have an output use one of two different protocols. The Cerbo GX can communicate using either protocol but all VE.Can ports on the Cerbo have to use the *same* protocol. If you've got other devices connected to the Cerbo's VE.Can ports, you must choose the See LeveL interface version that uses the same protocol.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.