question

dtcassist avatar image
dtcassist asked

Help syncing bmv-712 and batteries with new smartsolar charger

Hi,

I recently installed new batteries and a bmv-712 monitor to my system, and the monitor pointed out that my last charge controller was never doing a proper absorb cycle and batteries weren't getting much above 90%. (Probably why my last batteries failed so soon) So i just upgraded to a smartsolar MPPT 150/60 charger. I'm trying to sync everything correctly and need some help.

Battery bank - 606ah 24v Northstar blue+ agm lead carbon batteries

First, I need to get my batteries back to 100% charge both for piece of mind and to get my battery monitor back on track. I'd like to set the BMV to 100 at the appropriate point and start fresh.

Today I used the default adaptive absorb setting which ended up being 2 hours - which was still putting about 18 amps (3% of C20) into the batteries when switched into float. My batteries specify a 1% current to call out 100% SOC. Should I just turn off the adaptive absorb setting and just use the tail current tomorrow? At least for this first time to get to 100%?

Also I haven't setup the two devices to talk to each other yet.. but I don't fully understand how that info is used. (I don't have a temp probe on the BMV at the moment) Will it use the current flow from the shunt as a tail current reading? Then I have the tail current setting on the BMV, should that be the same as the charger? Or less so it kicks to 100 first? So many questions!

Thanks for reading and any help, Jim

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
Also I haven't setup the two devices to talk to each other yet.. but I don't fully understand how that info is used.

VE.Smart Networking

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual