question

5teve avatar image
5teve asked

12/3000/120 Multiplus Charging

HI Guys as promised - more questions.

I am currently testing my new to me but older MP 12/3000/120 with a pair of 100ah AGM's they are hooked up with only 35mm2 at the moment as its just a test to see if all was working.

The batteries had been sitting for a year but still had reasonable voltage (above 12v) so I connected them up to the multiplus and wired everything up. I set the charge rate at 25% via dip switches (still debating on the mk3 usb or the bluetooth for configuration) so should have 30amps max.

When charger kicks in its fine - bulk up to 14.4v and then it sits in absorption for what appears to be 8 hours, then kicks to float. if I switch the charger off and on again - it repeats - into ABS mode very quickly then sits there for 8 hours, then to float.

Have I screwed a setting up? I assume that the batteries will only take a very small current if full so shouldnt be doing any damage.

Thoughts?

Steve

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The absorption time can be adjusted. From memory, I'm not sure if it can be done with DUP switches, cut certainly with VE,Configure.

If you switch the Multiplus off and on again it will start a new charge cycle. It does not have a memory, so it won't know the last time a charge cycle was completed. Usually the Multiplus is left switched on so it goes back in to bulk when the Voltage goes low enough.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

thanks for that - I ws under the impressions that absorption mode was triggered into float by a minimum current draw? so although its set as 8 hours max - it can change long before then if the batteries are sucking up say less than 2a?

I'm probably wrong though :)

Steve

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There is a Repeated Absorption time limit, which is usually configured for an hour IIRC, but it is reset when the Multiplus is turned off.

2 |3000

5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

OK Thanks - I need to get the usb cable to read / write the parameters rather than the dip switches, but just trying to find if the bluetooth one has access to all parameters or just go the USB mk3 and then use it with a Rpi later down the track.. with venusOS

So much to learn..

Steve

2 |3000

5teve avatar image
5teve answered ·

I May have found the answer..

Adaptive charging is on - so it should reduce the absorption time.. but it didnt.. I checked again this morning and a battery was boiling on my test rig.. measures 10.6v so its cooked - i doubt from the charger - probably just the age (they are coming up 5 years and a couple were used as cranks on large diesels) so i'm guessing it was pulling sufficient amps to keep it in absorption..

Obviously makes me start thinking of replacing the ones on the boat now!

To top it off I went to check the dip switch programming and they have started to break off grrrr.. guess i Need to order the mk3 usb now!

does the bluetooth to VEbus actually allow you to fully program or does it have to be hard wired for all options? does the MK3 work with OTG on a phone (android)

Definitely thinking of Rpi for control in the long term

2 |3000