question

Scott Bull avatar image
Scott Bull asked

App request / suggestion - Time to charge

For the BMV 712, it'd be amazing to have a "time-to-charge" option under display settings. I understand there are numerous factors to consider, but even a simplified estimate would be better than what is offered currently, which is nothing. If the feature was implemented, a few additional options for configuring the logic might be "time-to-go averaging period" and "target SOC %".

I've seen this feature mentioned before but wanted to bump the idea as I think it'd still be a big value add for lots of BMV 712 users. Thank you for the consideration!

BMV Battery MonitorVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Graydon avatar image
Graydon answered ·

I agree, the VRM console shows "Time remaining" when the inverter is running loads off batteries, and it adjusts to the load current. The 'instant' time remaining is not overly accurate, depending on the load at that moment in time, but overall, you can get a sense of how long the batteries will last to the discharge floor.

How about adding the same functionality to the "Charging" side of the system. Again, the PV charger often varies wildly second to second, but, surely the same algorithm can us used as for the charging? Maybe a 30 second or even 60 second averaging of input power could provide the user with some estimate of the to 100% charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alex-jimenez avatar image
alex-jimenez answered ·

what ever happened to this, I've been using the calculator over at https://www.explorist.life/time-to-charge-a-battery-bank-calculator/ in order to figure it out which is a sufficient number for me, but would love to have this built in with live changes

2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

I have created a simple little flow for node red dashboard to display time to full (or time to charged, same thing)

https://github.com/thomasinaz41213/time-to-full

I find it to be fairly accurate for my LifePo4 bank, but obviously the accuracy will vary based on the chemistry being used. Be sure to change the charge efficiency factor to suit your needs.

2 |3000