question

Al avatar image
Al asked

Possible Bug in VE.Can MPPT - High Battery Voltage Alarm

I had many High Battery Voltage Alarms after install today of the first 250/100 VE.Can

Good news is we now have another 3,920w Solar array working on the boat!

But the alarms were triggered by the MPPT relay output set at 28.00v and off at 27.90v. (I was hoping to use it to turn on a battery fan during charging)

Every time the MPPT hit 28v the alarm was triggered and cleared below 27.9v, but I didn't expect an alarm warning from setting the relay. (Simple FLA battery bank 28.90v Abs, so alarms were below Abs voltage)

Turning off the relay didn't stop the alarms, but setting the Voltage trigger points of the relay higher have at least stopped alarms for now.

Setting a disable alarm rule in VRM also didn't stop the alarms.

Smartsolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 v3.04

CCGX V2.63

These Settings stopped the alarms (Setting the relay to be triggered at a higher voltage than battery voltage):

mppt-vecan-relay-settings.png

VRM Rule that didn't stop the alarms:

alarm-rule.jpg

Alarm Logs:

alarm-logs.jpg

MPPT ControllersVE.Canmodifications
alarm-rule.jpg (69.2 KiB)
alarm-logs.jpg (174.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Al, thanks - I’ll make sure we double check on our end

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Al, I checked, and indeed this is how it works now.

the relay settings also affect alarm indicators.

We’ll work on a solution, I dont know if this will take long or short.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Al avatar image Al commented ·

Thanks for the update. I'm using Quattro relays instead, but I'll keep an eye on the updates and changelog.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Al commented ·

Hi Al, update: this will take a few weeks maximum.

the fix will be that the mppt no longer creates these high (and low) voltage alarms.

Right now it does, but only on VE.Can. And it shouldn’t do that, since they are not configurable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image Al mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

That's good to hear, thanks.

Yes, it seemed strange when setting the relay to trigger on high low voltage it would also trigger an alarm at the relay setpoints.

I didn't test if any of the other relay settings in use triggered the alarm also, but assume if this fixes the creation of the High Low Voltage alarms then it should be the safe to use the other relay triggers without alarms in future.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Al, second update - its been fixed. Released today as v3.05. Item from the change log:

• Fix triggering “Low/high battery voltage” alarms on the GX Device, if connected over VE.Can, when the charger’s relay mode is at “Battery voltage low” or “Battery voltage high” with the relay active. The alarms are not triggered when connected over VE.Direct. Now the alarms are never triggered on the GX Device, regardless of which interface is being used, when the relay condition is met.

Thank you again for pointing this issue out.

4 comments
2 |3000

krl avatar image krl commented ·

Hi. Thanks for this. My smartsolar 150 85 vecan says it has the latest version v3.02 and won't let me update. Do you know when this will be available? Our if it is, why mine won't update?

Again thank you very much

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ krl commented ·

You should find that firmware on Victron professional (free account needed)

https://professional.victronenergy.com

0 Likes 0 ·
krl avatar image krl Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thanks. I found it. But I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here. I have downloaded v 3.05 for my smartsolar ve.can 150 85 mppt. And I get the confirmation that it loads up ok in victron connect. But the tab for firmware in the config of the mppt appears blank as of there was no firmware. It also says I'm currently on version 3.02. running app in Android by the wayscreenshot-20210603-221239.png

screenshot-20210603-192923.png

0 Likes 0 ·
tslewis99 avatar image tslewis99 commented ·

I am now seeing this exact same issue after upgrading units from 3.01 to 3.22

I only see this in units with MPPTS using VE.Can. It does not happen if units are connected via VE.Direct.

Effected components:

SCC125070421 MPPT 250/70-Tr VE.Can (Firmware 3.13)

BPP900451100 Cerbo GX MK2 (Firmware 3.22)

or

BPP900450100 Cerbo GX (Firmware 3.22)

Systems are daisy chained from Cerbo GX through a Lynx SmartShunt to MPPT with a terminator on each end.

LYN040102100 Lynx Shunt VE.Can (M8) Firmware 1.10)

Tim

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual