question

mikael avatar image
mikael asked

Lithium superpack with outboard charging

I have a Yamaha 9,9 with charging capabilities today with a voltage going up to 15,8 V on some higher RPM's.

Connecting to a Lithium Superpack 100 Ah, will the new battery automatically cut out the charging if the voltage becomes to high from the outboard charging?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Watch this video:

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bramdvries avatar image bramdvries commented ·

More to anyone else coming here, than to correct seb71: the video is great, but doesn't provide answers for anyone with an outboard engine with an alternator that's rated at less than 30A. E.g. my Suzuki DF20A is rated for 12A continuous and it would surely burn out with an Orion, Buck Booster or the other solution proposed in the video.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikael avatar image
mikael answered ·

Thanks, seems like the easiest solution would be to add a Orion TR between the alterantor and Lithium Superpack. The alternator is at 6 A, any suggestions on which Orion would be suitable, isolated or non-isolated?

2 comments
2 |3000

neepsandtatties avatar image neepsandtatties commented ·

@Mikael did you resolve this? Here's my research for the same issue: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/110422/outboard-alternator-charging-lithium.html

0 Likes 0 ·
mikael avatar image mikael neepsandtatties commented ·
Thanks for sharing. I did not really solve it. What I did this summer was to cut the connections to the battery once the outboard was started and leave the charging to the solar panels. So still no solution of how to handle the charging from the outboards alternator in a safe way. Been asking around bu no one seems to have a good solution.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources