question

Steve Bryant avatar image
Steve Bryant asked

BMV-712 USB Cable Limits?

We have a BMV-712 that seems to have intermittent problems with 30' USB Runs to 2 MPPT Controllers. We've tried 2 different powered USB hubs (on the MPPT side) and 2 different USB cables (with booster chips) to no avail. I've unplugged the USB WIFI dongle because it too seemed to be dropping out intermittently. Everything is patched to the latest firmware. Here's what I'm wondering:

1) Is there is a known problem with longer USB runs?

2) Is there possible a problem with my BMV's USB interfaces?

3) Would a powered USB hub on the BMV side be better placement to amplify the signal to-from the MPPTs?

Many thanks!

-Steve

BMV Battery MonitorMPPT SmartSolarVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

We used successfully 20m passive USB extender zu extend the VE.direct to USB cable between a BMV and a CCGX.
Something like that:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-20m-USB-Extension-Cable/dp/B004PF83A0

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve Bryant avatar image Steve Bryant commented ·

Thank you. I didn't realize we could use USB to connect the BMV and CCGX. Those devices are only 2 feet apart. Maybe I'll try that and watch for stability problems. That would be an excellent troubleshooting step

0 Likes 0 ·