question

duncan-lee avatar image
duncan-lee asked

Zigbee-usb setup failure

Hi

We've used the zigbee-usb to zigbee-rs485 to link the Et112 energy meter to a ccgx before. First time straight out of box followed the victron manual (ie just plug it in!!) and it worked.

Second one didn't so brought another set, worked

Brought another set didn't work but that was doe to the 2nd matched with old.

had another 2nd sent out, worked in the workshop, got to site and it didn't work

brought another set tried in workshop and doesn't work!

we've now accumulated 5 zigbee-rs485 and 2 zigbee-usb and have a system that's not working!

Brexit means I can't get another pair so somehow need to get a set working. Phoning suppliers and victron sales hasn't helped as no one appears to know anything about how the zigbee's work they just do!!

Obviously not all the time as there are other posts but no conclusions!

the symptom is the zigbee-usb plugged into the ccgz has solid active light only. Zigbee-rs485 has rapid flashing active led only.

random pushing of reset and function buttons on the zigbee-usb will put both lights out (pushing reset goes back to initial state of solid active light)

Pushing buttons on the zigbee-rs485 will change the flashing LED pattern but once pushed it doesn't seem to go back to the initial rapid flashing active LED only.

Does anyone know anything about these devices and what to do if they don't work straight out of the box??

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
duncan-lee avatar image
duncan-lee answered ·

OK further diagnostics reveal that from a cold start (zigbee to usb plugged in to ccgx and has solid active LED and Zigbee-rs485 wired in with rapid active LED flashing indicated it is un-paired.)

pushing the function button on the Zigbee-RS485 rapidly 3 times will pair to the USB, indicated by slow flashing of active light. Once paired with the USB it will re-pair when either is powered down and up.

It is possible to re-pair with a different zigbee to usb by pushing the function button 3 times in rapid succession on teh Zigbee to RS485 (The Rapid flashing active light goes to slow flashing when paired) we therefore conclude the Zigbee-usb is the master.

Hence the issue appears to lie with the CCGX usb to Zigbee-usb. When using the USB-rs485 cable there is an initial flashing of the cable lights followed by a pause before the steady communications flashing sequence starts, if this initialisation fails for any reason the CCGX doesn't appear to make any further attempts to establish communications unless the cable is unplugged and re-plugged in. There doesn't seem to be a way of getting the ccgx to re-search the usb ports (apart from rebooting)

I therefore suspect the initialisation sequence between the ccgx and zigbee-usb is failing.

Has anyone come acros this before?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

duncan-lee avatar image
duncan-lee answered ·

silly me, even with the wifi saying it's connected in the ccgx wifi menu checking for updates in the firmware menu said it was up to date. There doesn't appear to be anywhere on the web that says what the latest version was so assuming the firmware was up to date we proceeded with trying to figure out why the usb rs485 cable worked but the zigbee usb wouldn't.

however moving the ccgx increased the wifi signal strength and all of a sudden updates were available. CCGX is now running 2.63 firmware and we're up and running.

so aside from having to pair the zigbees it does now work "out of the box"

Lessons learnt

rapid flashing of the zigbee-RS485 active LED bad! Slow flashing Good :-)

Zigbee-USB doesn't appear to do much when you plug it in except the active LED comes on solid it is possible to configure so no led's are lit by pushing and holding both buttons but pressing the reset button or unplugging restores order and the solid active LED. if you watch closely the tx/rx led will give a very brief flash but otherwise no activity indications untill the paired Zigbee-rs485 has slow flashing active LED then comes starts with TX/rx leds all happy.

The RS485 coms at the meter end is tricky to see, if you're lucky the meter has tx/rx leds if not then its check the wires and hope it works!

I'm off to site tomorrow to see if I can replicate the workshop learnings in the field

1 comment
2 |3000

offgridsolutions avatar image offgridsolutions commented ·
how did you get on with this? I cant seem yo get the energy meter to display even once they are paired
0 Likes 0 ·
ccc-telecom avatar image
ccc-telecom answered ·

Thanks for that, I am currently camping out at the customers farm and now I am all exited to run 150m up the hill to my distribution board which now has both zigbees and the Cerbo inside it and press the button 3 times, where does it say that in the victron instructions, yep, nowhere, and where does it tell you the unpaired status lights, yep nowhere

2 |3000

eddie-n avatar image
eddie-n answered ·

Anyone can explain how the two push buttons operate?

I have been trying a few things that I read on the forum but my two devices (Victron packaging) refuse to talk now.

The worded for a day or so and then the data started to take longer and longer so of course I started to push the buttons and I have made it worse :(

Any simple instructions how to reset them?

USB unit has a solid LED on the activity and what it looks a very dimm tx/rx from time to time.

RS485 activity LED flashes every 3 seconds or so and from time to time there's RX/TX but GX says is disconnected.

2 |3000

stephanmeier avatar image
stephanmeier answered ·

img-0603.jpegImage Caption

img-0602.jpeg

img-0601.jpeg

It's pretty old but I kept coming across it. So here is my configuration and connection how it works for me. DRT not purchased from Victron but directly from China

img-0603.jpeg (6.1 MiB)
img-0602.jpeg (3.0 MiB)
img-0601.jpeg (3.2 MiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources