question

jdsilwones avatar image
jdsilwones asked

My solar array can trick the smart shunt into thinking the reset of SOC to 100% has been reached. Are there any fixes to this?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You may have to adjust the settings.

What settings do you have now? What batteries do you have?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jdsilwones avatar image
jdsilwones answered ·

12V 390 Ah

charged voltage 13.2

tail current 3%

detection time 3 minutes

7 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

What kind of batteries do you have?

Try to set the"charged voltage" higher.

0 Likes 0 ·
jdsilwones avatar image jdsilwones commented ·

Thank you for the reply. The batteries are AGM, but that really doesn’t matter in this case. I realize I can set the charged voltage high enough to prevent the shunt from resetting the SOC, say 15 V, but that defeats the purpose of the SOC feature. I was hoping for a solution that wouldn’t require that.

again, thank you for your help

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 jdsilwones commented ·
but that defeats the purpose of the SOC feature

No, it does not. The SOC will still increase as you charge the battery and can still reach 100%, even if the automatic synchronization of SOC to 100% does not happen.

The purpose of automatic synchronization is to correct any "drift" between the displayed SOC and actual SOC that happens over time (because of not perfectly accurate measurements and coefficients).

0 Likes 0 ·
jdsilwones avatar image jdsilwones seb71 commented ·

Yes, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean the batteries wouldn’t charge, just that the automatic sync wouldn’t occur, just as you said. This leaves a manual syncing my only option. Victron folks are smart, they must have thought of this issue. I’d guess a large percentage of users of this device include solar charging In their systems. Boaters like us.

0 Likes 0 ·

As I explained, automatic synchronization does not have to occur each day. And yet, SOC can still reach 100% each day (with enough sun).

You still have to use reasonable settings for utomatic synchronization of SOC to 100% , so that it can occur, but better to occur less often than too often.

0 Likes 0 ·
jdsilwones avatar image jdsilwones seb71 commented ·

Please explain what reasonable settings would allow automatic sync of the SOC when using solar. During intermittent sunshine, the charging output will look like a fully charged battery to the shunt. (Low current due to clouds, not due to saturation.) thank you

0 Likes 0 ·

In those conditions you do not want automatic synchronization to happen.

As I explained and maybe you don't understand, the SOC is still automatically calculated. Just not automatically synchronized to 100%.

-------

Tell me what are your charger settings.

Based on those you can set up the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

How to set up a battery monitor.

A good tutorial for those who forgot to read the manual.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic