question

swordoski avatar image
swordoski asked

How do I install the Smartshunt with parallel batteries?

What is the correct way to install the smartshunt on my battery bank ?!

I have 2 battery (12v) in parallell, and 2 VE Blue Smart 75/15 charges (synchronize charging)

Br

Marcus

SmartShuntinstallation
monitor-battery.jpg (76.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The shunt has to be connected in the negative wire that goes to your loads/chargers.

bmv-parallel.png (67.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Pieter Boomsma avatar image
Pieter Boomsma answered ·

Hi Marcus,

It depends a bit on what you want. You can see your 2 parallel batteries as 1 battery. They cannot be monitored seperate from each other so don't stare blind on that. If you don't charge the batteries from an alternator you can use the diagram on page 9 of the manual. Make sure to set Setting 69 (Auxilary input) to Starter battery or Temperature even if you do not use it (it will give you an error regarding midpoint voltage error if you don't).

8 comments
2 |3000

swordoski avatar image swordoski commented ·

Hmm...Alright @Pieter Boomsma

So i put both MPPT's on the SYSTEM MINUS side on the Smartshunt ?!

0 Likes 0 ·
Pieter Boomsma avatar image Pieter Boomsma swordoski commented ·

yes, there will not be anything else than the 2 batteries on the minus side of the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
pim avatar image pim Pieter Boomsma commented ·

Hello Pieter, and what about the positive VBatt+ when using 2 parallel banks? Does it matter on which of both batteries it is? Same as where the shunt Battery minus is connected to or is it better to use the plus of the other battery for more accurate values? My problem is that the 2 batteries aren't near each other (there is a motor in between ;-) ) so when there's is not a huge difference, I prefer all connections to one battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
kaspar avatar image kaspar pim commented ·

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. I have two parallel lifefo4 batteries and the recommendation is to have equal length positive cables to the batteries and separate fuses for each battery. What does this mean for the Vbatt+ connection. Do I choose one of the batteries and connect to its positive terminal, or should I connect it to the busbar joining the batteries after the main fuses? I may start a different thread on this topic, but it seems related to this. Thanks!

1 Like 1 ·
72911e avatar image 72911e kaspar commented ·
Kasper, did you get an answer for your question about where the vbatt+ goes in these parallel configurations? My hunch is that it would go on the Buspar or posts rather than on one of the batteries in the bank...
0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 72911e commented ·
You need to connect the vbatt+ to exactly the same place that your loads and charging positives connect to. That is the voltage your MPPT or MP is "seeing"., so what you want the shunt to measure.

In practice there may be a couple of millivolts difference the busbar your positives connect to and the actual battery terminals due to slight voltage drop in the cables that join the positive terminals to the busbar, depending on length and cross sectional area of the cables.
0 Likes 0 ·
72911e avatar image 72911e delf67 commented ·
Great. This is as i expected. In my configuration, this is the parallel positive bus bar. All power sources and load go through it. Much appreciated.
0 Likes 0 ·
swordoski avatar image swordoski Pieter Boomsma commented ·

@Pieter Boomsma

My Smartshunt is here.

A little bit confuse but, Which option should I use ?!
"Monitoring voltage of second battery" or
"Monitoring midpoint of a battery bank"

And best practice for maintenance is ?

Shut down charger with VC.
Disconnect the panels.
Install the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pieter Boomsma avatar image
Pieter Boomsma answered ·

please connect it like the picture from Matthias, That are the only right options. You have no midpoint in a parallel batterybank so you can set it to second battery.

You seem to be right on the order of disconnections, do connection visa versa.

2 |3000

swordoski avatar image
swordoski answered ·

What I thinking about is, if i connect both battery negative to the shunt ?!
Option 1 or 2 or is it totally wrong ?!

option1.jpg (121.4 KiB)
option2.jpg (114.5 KiB)
2 |3000

ori-haberman avatar image
ori-haberman answered ·

I know this is an old post but I have a followup question:

I have 2 48v server rack batteries (eg4) which I want to wire in parallel to a smartshunt. In the eg4 manual it says not to jumper the batteries in parallel, rather use a properly rated busbar to connect them in parallel to avoid large currents and overheating in the end wires.

So my question is this:

In my case because its only 2 batteries, can I just connect 2 negative wires to the battery end of the smartShunt? Its not 4 batteries which would warrant a whole busbar, really just 2 5awg wires connected directly to the shunt, using the shunt as a "post"...

I know it can kindof be considered "abuse" but is it really necessary for me to add a busbar?
And then while I'm at it, I have the same question for the positive side... Can I just attach the 2 positive wires directly to a t class fuse holder?

In the continuation of the system I wil have of course a lynx distributor, I'm just wondering if I can avoid adding 2 additional busbars to my system...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic