question

swordoski avatar image

How do I install the Smartshunt with parallel batteries?

What is the correct way to install the smartshunt on my battery bank ?!

I have 2 battery (12v) in parallell, and 2 VE Blue Smart 75/15 charges (synchronize charging)

Br

Marcus

installationsmart shunt
monitor-battery.jpg (76.9 KiB)
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The shunt has to be connected in the negative wire that goes to your loads/chargers.

bmv-parallel.png (67.9 KiB)

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pieter-boomsma avatar image
pieter-boomsma answered ·

Hi Marcus,

It depends a bit on what you want. You can see your 2 parallel batteries as 1 battery. They cannot be monitored seperate from each other so don't stare blind on that. If you don't charge the batteries from an alternator you can use the diagram on page 9 of the manual. Make sure to set Setting 69 (Auxilary input) to Starter battery or Temperature even if you do not use it (it will give you an error regarding midpoint voltage error if you don't).

3 comments

Hmm...Alright @Pieter Boomsma

So i put both MPPT's on the SYSTEM MINUS side on the Smartshunt ?!

yes, there will not be anything else than the 2 batteries on the minus side of the shunt.

pim avatar image pim pieter-boomsma ·

Hello Pieter, and what about the positive VBatt+ when using 2 parallel banks? Does it matter on which of both batteries it is? Same as where the shunt Battery minus is connected to or is it better to use the plus of the other battery for more accurate values? My problem is that the 2 batteries aren't near each other (there is a motor in between ;-) ) so when there's is not a huge difference, I prefer all connections to one battery.