question

Armel Peel avatar image
Armel Peel asked

Centaur chargers and quattro inverters

I am just learning about the Centaur chargers and wondering when it would be useful on a boat. I planned to have a quattro inverter taking power from a generator and shore power. The inverter would charge a house battery bank. There are also solar panels connected to an mppt controller recharging the batteries as well.

A few more pieces, an orion-tr controller to regulate power from the alternator into the battery bank. And lastly the Centaur. From what I understand it is like a mini-generator that will charge the batteries from either ac or dc input.

Here is my question. Could I use the Centaur as a failsafe? The Centaur would get input from my inverter, and output to the house bank. My intent is when the batteries are empty, solar, shore power, and generator are off: the Centaur will click on as a backup and charge the batteries as kind of a last resort? My intention is this in conjunction with a BatteryProtect would be the ultimate last resort to protect my house bank from cycling to deeply or leaving my boat without power. After everything ran out, the BatteryProtect would just cut the batteries off.

I ask because it seems like a lot of connections to the battery bank, with the orion-tr, the inverter, the mppt controller, AND the centaur. Can this be done safely and have I understood and applied the use for the Centaur correctly? I also worried a bit about the quattro AND centaur both being connected to the house bank while connected to each other. Could this potentially cause problems? I realize the inverter would not attempt to charge the centaur during low power situations like battery only, but wanted to check for sure.

I plan on being at anchor a lot, and my batteries will be the only source of power for extended periods of time, like months. Just when the generator/alternator/solar is not on of course.

@Matthias Lange - DE

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc answered ·

Hi,

No it will not work as you Describe. Or more exactly it will empty your battery bank.

If the
centaur is connected to the quattro output and the quattro ac input are off(no generator/no shore) then the energy provided by the centaur comes from the battery. So let's say that the charger is providing 100A, then the inverter will draw 110A. So a net loss of 10A.

The Centaur however has a function in your system

1. 1) provide boost charge when on generator. If your generator power is larger than the quattro, the centaur in parallel can shorten the charge time provided your batteries can take the extra power. Could also be tru with shore but more often than not shore power is limited compare to the quattro's power.

2)backup. Should the quattro fail, you have another mean to charge your battery

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike avatar image
Mike answered ·

I have a similar setup.

I can confirm that while on the generator or shore power, you can use both the Quattro and the centaur at the same time to do a very rapid battery charge.

However, if you leave the Centaur on whilst not on shore power or generator power, you will do a quick battery discharge as there is no such thing as an infinite energy machine. It is interesting to see how quickly the batteries discharge. This is shows all the losses in your system.

I have put a plug on the centaur that I can manually plug into a GPO and do a rapid charge when I start the generator. We are almost totally powered from our solar, but after a few days sailing on cloudy days, the generator needs to be run. The centaur cuts the generator run time in half. It s also a great backup should the Quattro fail. We would still have a way to charge the batteries.

2 |3000