question

ftlsailor avatar image
ftlsailor asked

Best option for charging a secondary 12V battery bank from a primary 48V battery bank

Hello,

I have a 48V, 440Amp battery bank for the electric engine in my sailboat. I also have a 12V, 200Amp buffer battery for my house bank.

I own the following Victron equipment:

12/12-30 DC-DC Smart Charger

48/12-30 DC-DC Converter

Before I connect this and possibly damage the equipment and battery banks, I thought I would check with the forum. Should I connect the 48V bank to the converter, the converter to the charger, and then the charger to the house bank?

Regards,

Ricky

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ftlsailor

Sounds like a good plan.

I do something similar with just the 48/12, but I wouldn't hesitate to add the Smart Orion if I had one. Not really warranted for me as I find just a flat 13.5V charge is adequate. I switch mine automagically with an Assistant in a Multiplus.

Welcome to the Community too, and Fair Winds..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hoeken avatar image hoeken commented ·
Can you elaborate on what you mean by switching it with an assistant in your Multiplus? I'm looking at the same issue.
0 Likes 0 ·