question

davidcolemandc avatar image
davidcolemandc asked

Configuring Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Isolated with MB Sprinter Smart Alternator

Hi, I have installed an Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Converter/Charger (configured as an isolated charger) in my 2015 MB Sprinter which has a smart alternator. The house batteries are 2 X BattleBorn 100Ah LiFePo batteries. BattleBorn recommends to set chargers to the following settings:

Charge voltage ‘absorption’: 14.4V

Charge voltage ‘float’: 13.6V

However, at those settings the Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger never charges the batteries. But if I change the settings to 13v and 12v then it does charge the batteries under Absorption charge (see attached pics.) I'm getting 14.2v on the input line when the engine is running.

Q: What should all the settings below be set to?

My current configuration:

Under voltage shut down: 13.1V

Under voltage restart: 13.3V

VLockout: 10.4V

VLockout Restart: 10.5V

Charge voltage ‘absorption’: 13V

Charge voltage ‘float’: 12V

Thank you so much in advance!

Note: I installed an isolated version because the non-isolated was not in stock.

img-5741.pngimg-5742.png

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
img-5741.png (147.2 KiB)
img-5742.png (145.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
llubi avatar image
llubi answered ·

I’ll start using the Victron lithium batteries preset, then disable the smart alternator detection, and finally do you have it connected to any kind of switch? Or the cable loop is installed Between L&H?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

davidcolemandc avatar image davidcolemandc commented ·

I'll give that a try - Thank you! It is not connected to a switch. I'm not sure about the cable loop.

0 Likes 0 ·

That worked! Thank you! This is what I'm showing now:

img-5746.pngimg-5744.png

0 Likes 0 ·
img-5746.png (156.4 KiB)
img-5744.png (154.8 KiB)
spanner avatar image
spanner answered ·

Good luck then, tried to assist.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
veryactivelife avatar image
veryactivelife answered ·

David,

I've been following this waiting for some revelation. All I can add is that with your settings the batteries are never going to fully charge, the voltages are just too low. Do you have a battery monitor? Please share some screen shots if you do, particularly amps going to the Battleborns.

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes, I'll get some screen shots of the battery monitor. It charges fine from the MPPT and the MultiPlus. Just not from the Orion-tr. Is 14.2v normal for a Sprinter smart alternator?

0 Likes 0 ·