question

Brian Knapp avatar image
Brian Knapp asked

BMV-712 incorrectly shows 100%; what do I do???

I updated the firmware whole the batteries were arou d 16-20% charged. It then read 100% after it updated.

I have two 200AH Lithium Ion batteries connected.

I am afraid of overcharging the batteries by manually choosing an estimated SOC, but I'm also afraid of over-discharging by NOT manually changing the SOC and them not charging above their current SOC because the system thinks they are at 100.

I guessed the SOC had charged to around 30%, so I manually changed it to that. Will a wrong guess damage my batteries as the system charges and then discharges???

What should I do???

BMV Battery MonitorLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

You should fully charge your batteries, with a quality charger that has been programmed with your lithium batteries' voltages.

Once your batteries are full, your BMV will synchronize back to 100%.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Brian Knapp avatar image Brian Knapp commented ·

Can I leave the charger manually set to 30% (my best guess about its SOC) before I charge to 100%? Or should I manually click the "Synchronize SOC TO 100%" button in the app before I try to charge to 100%?

I am very concerned about overcharging or over-discharging the batteries. If the SOC is set to 100%, but the batteries are really at 30%, will they continut to charge all the way up to 100%?

My BMV-712 and LiFPO4 batteries were set up by a company, so I assume they are calibrated correctly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Knapp avatar image Brian Knapp commented ·

OP here. For context, this is how the batteries are set up in the Victron App under the BMV-712:81b358f1-57cf-4a1e-b12f-e82593f4ba1c.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The BMV is just a monitor it doesn't "tell" the charger to stop because it thinks the battery is full.

The battery charger is working with a voltage based charging algorithm and doesn't care about the SOC measured by the BMV.

And as long as you don't have some cheap no-name china batteries they should have some kind of BMS that is stopping the charging if there is a problem.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic