question

lorenzo-accaroli avatar image
lorenzo-accaroli asked

Quattro settings for lead acid batteries 48V

Hi all, I have a system made by Quattro 48V/10000/140, two MPPTs Smart solar, 48 V floade lead acid batteries, 755 Ah (C5) SG tested and ok by manufacturer. But I never had energy from batteries during evening/night despite voltage was above DC restart... You can find attached a PDF with settings of quattro and an image with assistant settings. Please tell me what is wrong...SET.pdfImmagine 2021-02-07 182526.jpg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger48v battery
set.pdf (240.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
michaelvausr avatar image
michaelvausr answered ·

What settings do you have on the MPPT's? How it is connected? Do you have a CCGX or Venus? Do you have a Battery Monitor? How do you see if the battery is charged properly by the MPPTs?

What is connected to both of the Quattro's inputs?

I think, answers to those questions can help finding the right answer for you :-)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lorenzo-accaroli answered ·

I have a CCGX, i don't have battery monitor ( it is quattro). The settings of MPPTs is that one attached

To the inputs it is attached battery and grid i think

Screenshot_20201226-225441.jpgScreenshot_20201226-225431.jpg

2 |3000

michaelvausr avatar image
michaelvausr answered ·

You did not enable the charger part in the Multi, was that intentionally?

What is the battery charge status and the voltage before it gets dark?
In my configuration we currently do not have enough solar energy during the (short and cloudy) day to have battery power whole night.

A schematic drawing of your installation would be helpful - and your expectations to it.

12 comments
2 |3000

lorenzo-accaroli avatar image lorenzo-accaroli commented ·

I guess that charger part is off because I have the MPPTs to charge battery any i don't use grid to charge them. I will try to give you a scheme, but from your understanding of my settings when do you think system should start give power from battery and when not? I don't think the settings of dc shutdown is the key because it is so lower wrt my battery status...

0 Likes 0 ·
michaelvausr avatar image michaelvausr commented ·

Your task - as far as I understand it until now - is a typically ESS task. I think, your battery does not get enough charge from the solar panels (due to winter time) and cannot help much. In the ESS system the MPPTs communicate with the Multis/Quattros. Now I do not see that the Multi can know the battery's charge state - so you also cannot know it. I think you miss a BMV for having accurate values for this.

I hope that I got the right picture from your information so far, I'm not quite sure.

0 Likes 0 ·
lorenzo-accaroli avatar image lorenzo-accaroli michaelvausr commented ·

My quattro is set as battery monitor in CCGX settings. I read voltage and percentage on the CCGX.. so you think that those reafibfi are meaningless?

0 Likes 0 ·
michaelvausr avatar image michaelvausr lorenzo-accaroli commented ·

Do you see the percentage increase during the day (the MPPTs should charge the battery) and what is the maximum value you see? That way you can test if the values of the state-of-charge (SOC) are reliable

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes i do see percentage increasing.. i also performed a sg readings and submit it to battery manufacturer who said was ok. Attached the last graph from MPPTs... what I'm thinking is that in winter times my system is useless :(

0 Likes 0 ·

That sadly may be ...

Nevertheless I would think about making an ESS system of it. then your battery is taken care of, it's not very good for battery life if the battery is nearly empty most of the time.

I have a system of two MPPTs and three Quattros, with CCGX and BMV. I use the ESS and the mode "with battery life". Currently the battery is kept at approx. 70%..80% SOC because there is not much solar energy available.

0 Likes 0 ·

Ess assistant could be set without fed grid? I'll try to do this setting... But my battery never goes below 85% since it is connected

0 Likes 0 ·

Sorry, I have some holidays. But I will do a test configuration with that settings and let you know the result.

0 Likes 0 ·

So grateful!! :)

0 Likes 0 ·

If you select Settings->ESS->grid feed in then you can set the "feed in excess" to OFF, there will be no feeding into grid then!
bildschirmfoto-2021-02-14-um-201600.png

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't have an ess assistant loaded in my quattro... Do you suggest to add it? I don't have BMV monitor, only CCGX and QUATTRO

0 Likes 0 ·

ESS Design & installation manual [Victron Energy].pdf

You may look here for the basics, I will be back tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 ·
lorenzo-accaroli answered ·

Ok, I monitored my system for some days. There was sun in the last days, and at evening battery give power also under 4 kW load, with 80A of current discharge... Then I switch on induction plate and system switch to grid.. the switch is driven by to contactors mounted on my QUATTRO... So:

1) why does grid switch on when I add the load from induction? There is a limit on power or in current?

2) if there is a limit, is this limit a physical characteristic of the contactors? Or it is a setting somewhere?

3) why does after the main loads stops, system didn't switch to the battery again?

4) It could be that my carlo gavazzi ET112 that measure loads, working at max 100A give input to contactrps to switch to the grod. Why doeas then it not commute again to battery?

Edit: i talk about the two circled components. The right one when activated take power from the grid the second one from the battery. Once the right one activate, never come back to the left one until next day, when the sun comes out even if the high load drop.

Someone have any suggestion or can explain me how does those contactors work?

Hope it's clear, thanks

20210115-181808.jpg

3 comments
2 |3000

lorenzo-accaroli avatar image lorenzo-accaroli commented ·

Ok, after three days of monitoring I think that the threshold for inverter to switch to grid is 47V (that happens when big loads switch on) but I can't this setting anywhere... Nor in quattro settings nor in MPPTs nor in any other component... I'm a little angry about this... Installer is disappeared

0 Likes 0 ·

Do you have an electrical drawing? Seems not clear to me so far. There is a setting for battery voltage that starts/stops inverting mode. But these contactors have to be switched on/off by any signal and I don't know what. That's why a drawing would be very helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·

I cannot have a drawing right now. What I can do is open the system cabinet to see what goes into contactors...btw i have the doubt that the threshold is voltage drop due to high loads at less then 48V. In the picture you can see the last drop and then no more battery.. unless it was at 75 percent (as shown in CCGX and calculated by quattro)

screenshot-20210223-065032-chrome.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·