question

ccc-telecom avatar image
ccc-telecom asked

EM24 Modbus/TCP - Use for Sub-metering different buildings

My client wants to measure power use in each room in his Safari Lodge, actually he wants to measure 8 different DB boards which are distributed around the safari camp, it is going to be a 90kW or a 135kW parallel quatro/fronius ESS system

I have an existing DB cabinet where an isolator for each DB board lives, so I can install a second row of 8 * EM24 meters (Modbus TCP) an ethernet hub for the 8 meters and use the Carlo Gavazzi software to provide management reports for the owners of the Safari Lodge, I can even install the cerbo before the rest of the solar system, either way I will then know for sure which I need a 90kW system with 75kW panels and 160kWh battery or a 135kW system with 100kW panels with a 240kWh battery

So the question is what do I do about the Cerbo GX, will it recognise all 8 EM24 devices as Grid input (is there a limit on number of em24's specified as grid input or a modbus limit ?) and will it list all 8 as separate devices and aggregate their power into the Grid input total on the touch 50 graphics, will this work . . .? or will I end up having to install a 9th em24 device just for the Cerbo with 3 * 400A CT cables to measure the 120mm Grid transformer cables before they are split up into the 8 DB boards

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The energy meters are intended to be used for specific roles in the system.
They can be assigned one of three roles: Grid meter, PV Inverter or Generator. The information gathered from these meters is then used by the system for calculating energy flow rather than for casual observation.

The energy meters cannot be used for monitoring arbitrary loads or circuits.

Here is the documentation regarding energy meters and how they are used:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources