question

radim-1 avatar image
radim-1 asked

ET340 no communication - SOLVED

Hello experts,

I am not able to establish communication in system of:

Venus OS (Raspberry pi 3)

Multiplus II 48V/3000 (external wired Current Transformer sensor connected)

ET340 Carlo Gavazzi

BMV-700

MK3 VE Bus USB cable

VE Direct USB cable

USB-RS485-WE-1800-BT

I am able to communicate to ET340 via recommended USB-RS485 interface with PC to Carlo Gavazzi UCS7 original SW. But no response after plugged USB-RS485 interface to Raspberry pi. Just immediately after USB-RS485 plugged to Raspberry the LED (red and green) flashes approx. 1 second. Power meter ET340 is not visible in system (Setting-Energy meters).

I have tried a lot of variants (Address, Baud...) a lot of Reboot but no communication at all.

What is wrong? Do I need to setup anything?

Energy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
hule avatar image
hule answered ·

I solved the problem by creating a new udev rule:

First look at the USB vendor and product id:

root@portwork1:~# lsusb

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

in my case the USB to RS485 is the line: Vendor-ID is 1a86 and Product-ID is 7523

Add in the file serial-starter.rules in the folder

/etc/udev/rules.d

a new rule

ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_BUS}=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1a86", ATTRS{idProduct}=="7523", ENV{VE_SERVICE}="cgwacs:default"

after a reboot you will see the grid-meter as expected.

Don't forget to add this configuration after a software upgrade.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

radim-1 avatar image
radim-1 answered ·

Any suggestion?

2 |3000

radim-1 avatar image
radim-1 answered ·

Hello, can anybody help me please?

I have just updated Venus OS to v2.62 and ET340 ( firmware version "B-6") is not visible in VRM. Still no Power meter present in VRM. How can I add ET340 to my Victron system?

2 |3000

tabrocky avatar image
tabrocky answered ·

Hi Radim-1,

I recently had a similar experience communicating with an EM24 from a Color Control. As it turned out the issue was a Faulty Color Control which is being replaced under warranty by Victron. I don't know exactly what the problem is but it would seem there is some issue with the USB ports as we later found the CCGX wouldn't even recognise a USB memory stick however it would recognize the USB to VEDirect cable connected to my BMV.... Very strange.

Obviously using a Pie is a different situation and there could be a number of possible issues but not sure if you have access to another Pie to test just in case it's a hardware issue?

Cheers Tristan.

2 |3000

radim-1 avatar image
radim-1 answered ·

Hi Tristan,

thank you for answer. I think, that port USB on my Raspberry pi3 is ok, as I can see USB-RS485-WE convertor on "ttyUSB2" and I am able to send random data (screen /dev/ttyUSB2 9600) to ET340.

I think, that my communication line and USB-RS485 convertor is running good:

putty-02.jpg

Is possible, that my ET340-DIN.AV2.3.X.S1.X has some new or wrong FW?

Can you find config file for ET340 in Raspberry Pi folder? I guess /etc/..... I think, that Venus OS did not recognized new ET340 by itself so I would like somehow to tell to Venus OS that there is ET340 on some port.

putty.jpg (138.8 KiB)
putty-02.jpg (147.0 KiB)
2 |3000

tabrocky avatar image
tabrocky answered ·

Hi Radim-1,

As far as the Pie goes I don't have much experience unfortunately. However it does seem like it's not likely a hardware issue if you can transmit data to the Energy Meter.

Assuming you've confirmed Baud rate and Modbus Addressing at both ends I can't really offer much more help. Sorry.

Cheers Tristan.

2 |3000

perry-westphal avatar image
perry-westphal answered ·

@tabrocky I have a GGCX 2.63 and the ESS gridmeter keeps connecting and disconnecting.
You think I need to exchange the color control?

2 |3000

tabrocky avatar image
tabrocky answered ·

Hi Perry,

I'm not sure it's the same issue as I experienced as my grid meter wouldn't connect at all.

When the grid meter disconnects is the red TX light on the USB-RS485 converter still flashing? This would indicate the GX device is still trying to poll the grid meter. If so then I'd suggest the RS485 Comms between the USB-RS485 adapter and the grid meter may be the issue and I'd suggest checking the wiring.

When things are working normally you should get Green (RX) LED pulses and Red (TX) LED pulses - essentially every red pulse (TX) should be followed by one or multiple green (RX) LED flashes.

If your grid meter is using ethernet comms rather than RS485 I did read on another Topic posted that there was a firmware issue with the Carlo Galvazzi Ethernet Comms Based devices intermittently disconnecting and locking-up requiring a reset.

2 comments
2 |3000

perry-westphal avatar image perry-westphal commented ·

HI @tabrocky,
Thanks for your hints.
The meter is using RS485.
I do not see MODBUS in the menu.
Is this normal?

role.jpg

according to the victron manual it should look like this:

victron-manual.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
role.jpg (21.8 KiB)
victron-manual.jpg (169.8 KiB)
tabrocky avatar image tabrocky commented ·

Hi Perry,

Yes it's normal to not have the Modbus unit ID listed. I don't see it on my setup either.

0 Likes 0 ·
radim-1 avatar image
radim-1 answered ·

SOLVED.

My problem with communication/detection Venus OS to ET340 is solved now. The issue was in name of cable. Just change text in section "Product Description" from "USB-RS485-WE" to "FT232R USB UART" using MProg SW by FTDI.

ftdi.jpg

ftdi.jpg (85.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

stan-alex avatar image stan-alex commented ·
Halo. I have the same issue. No detection et340 on Venus OS. Please, can u give me some advice how to solve this by using MProg? Thank u for answer. Stan
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources