question

theorangee avatar image
theorangee asked

BMS Vs DC/DC charger

Dear Victron Comunity

I have acquired a number of Victron products, but I might have designed the setup wrongly.

I have the following devices:

Victron Energy Smart BMS CL 12/100

Victron Energy ORION Tr Smart DC/DC charger 30Amps ISOLATED

Victron Energy Smart Battery Protect 200

And the Battery is a Victron Energy LiFePo battery 12,8V 100amps Smart.

I have a doubt in how to connect the BMS and the DC/DC to the battery. I can see that perhaps the DC/DC Will interfere with the BMS or it is just a redundant and incompatibile solution. How can I find some technical support in this respect?

It actually looks that the BMS is needed as specified in the battery documentation but also an intelligent charging device with adequate profiles is to be implemented to achieve full charge and this should be done with a DC-DC Charger.

Can´t find a final answer.

HELP

BMS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pcg avatar image pcg commented ·

I have the same question. I'll be charging a LiFePO4 battery from an AGM start battery connected to an outboard motor alternator. I originally was planning to use just an Orion-TR DC-DC charger, but now I realize it does not monitor battery temperature. So, should I add a BMS 12/100, or use the BMS 12/100 instead of the charger. If I use only the BMS 12/100 then what if the alternator sees the boat starter battery as fully charged and then does not supply sufficient voltage to charge the LiFePO4? It does seem somewhat redundant to use both.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
miya avatar image
miya answered ·

The use of the Orion between the CL 12/100 and the lithium is a nice solution. Better than the CL 12/100 on its own. The CL 12/100 will be fine on its own - but the inclusion of the Orion is even better.

The Cl 12/100 (on its own) will just pump the Amps in to the lithium until the Volts on the lithium hit 14.2 (default setting). At which point - the CL 12/100 will disconnect the charging of the lithium.

The advantage of the inclusion of the Orion - is the Amps go from the CL (with no charging profile) to the Orion (with a charging profile) - and the Orion will then intelligently adapt the volts and amps to meet the chosen charging profile.

As already said - CL on its own - all good and will work fine. Adding the Orion just makes it a lot smarter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David butler avatar image David butler commented ·

Can you please explain the benefits to combining a Orion TR Smart dc to dc charger with a Victron Smart BMS CL 12V 100 amp for a Sprinter van build in order to accomplish the task of charging of Victron Lithium house batteries from the smart alternator, Im assuming the 2021 diesel 2500 has a smart alternator, its rated at 14 volts 220 amps.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic