question

northerncamper avatar image
northerncamper asked

Limiting current for campsite hookup

Hi all,

I would like to buy a Blue Smart IP22 Charger for my VW T5. It has 2 leisure batteries in it (under the front seats). My question is regarding plugging in the van when at UK campsites.

The campsites will limit the amount of current that can be drawn though a hookup (sometimes 10A, sometimes 16A). If I go for the 15A Blue Smart charger, could it trip out the campsite supply when I plug it in? And if it does, will LOW mode help to prevent it?

Thanks in advance.

chargercharge current limitcurrent limitcampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

I think you need / want the one with connection for 3 batteries. (You can connect your 2).
Note thr 15A is reffering to the max charge current, at the 12V side, not the 230V consumption!
Which will be max a few Amps.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

northerncamper avatar image northerncamper commented ·

Thanks harold! Currently the batteries are wired in parallel. As the positive and negative terminals are connected, I assumed that I could use the single output charger rather than the triple output. I guess this will mean that the batteries will take longer to charge compared to if they were separate.

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

Yes, this mean you have actually 1 set!

But what is the total capacity? You will require 10-20% charge A
So 12V delivered by 2 bateries of 100Ah, means 200Ah which requires minimal 20A to charge

2 comments
2 |3000

northerncamper avatar image northerncamper commented ·

Harrold thanks for your help so far. I have just checked and the batteries are ENFORCER LEISURE/CARAVAN BATTERY LOWCASE 110AH 12V (6110) bateries. So I guess I have a total of 220Ah. Would a 20A charger be OK for that arrangement?

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold northerncamper commented ·

Yes, If you have enough charging time, you may go higher if you want or need faster charging or intend to enlarge your battery bank in the future,

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic