question

Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote asked

Floating Harmful to Lithium Batteries?

Recently seen several youtubers saying that floating lithium batteries is harmful. Any opinions on this? If floating is harmful, how should multiplus be configured to avoid?

(This is for system w/o built-in BMS as many vendors who sell BMS built-in lithium's seem to have their BMS address this issue from what I understand, This is *especially* true of the very popular direct 12V replacement style batteries).

Lithium Battery
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mt-geek avatar image mt-geek commented ·

The weak cells over time will get over charged. Lithium batteries will lose capacity when over charged. with a bms it keeps all the cells equal

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
randy-putnam avatar image
randy-putnam answered ·

I have Battle Borns and their advice is you don’t need to float their batteries, but you can if you want to. I have my charger set for 14.4 absorbtion, 13.6 float and 13.2 storage. LFPs will retain their charge a lot longer than AGM, SLA, FLA, etc.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alan avatar image
alan answered ·

Lithium is a completely different beast that Lead, there are a lot of methods that you simply need to forget. With lithium there is no spoon, I mean float.

https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

2 |3000

Related Resources