question

oceanwolfe avatar image
oceanwolfe asked

How to sequentially switch excess solar to water maker then hot water after batteries full

I have a Multiplus, 4 solar panels each with Victron MPPT controllers, a BMV-712 and a Cerbo GX. I can see how one can set up so that the solar output switches to another use once the batteries are full. I'm lookin for input on how one might set the system up to switch first to my 12V water maker until tanks are full, then to my 120V hot water heater.
Can this be done within the Victron system controls?

smart solar charging behaviour
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oceanwolfe avatar image oceanwolfe commented ·

I should have probably included that the MPPT controllers are the Smart Solar type.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

This is not something that can be done natively in Venus. You can only realy perform a relay action based on a pre-defined set of events.
Another thing to think about is how the Cerbo know that your water tank is full? It would need to have input from the same sensor which stops the water maker.

It is possible to do this sort of thing using the large image and NodeRed. This allows tank sensors or digital inputs to be read and then make decisions based on the state of those inputs.

For instance, a tank sensor input could be read and then close the second Cerbo relay to start the water heater once it is known that the tank is full.

There is information about the large image in the community and also here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oceanwolfe avatar image oceanwolfe commented ·

I knew the Cerbo could control switches and relays, I just hadn't realized that there was an OS available that I could access to perform more complex actions. My wife is a Computer Systems Analyst and Programmer, so I may draft her to handle this part. I'd assumed I'd need to have some kind of "sensor" to let it know when the water tank was full. I guess it's time to dive into the land of "Large".

Many thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B oceanwolfe commented ·

It also maybe worth while look up assistants that are used in your multiplus.

the assistans can control when the AC2 out relay is turned off and on and or can also control aux 1 aux 2 K1 and K2 relays on the multi plus. these are quite easy to setup as well

0 Likes 0 ·
oceanwolfe avatar image oceanwolfe Paul B commented ·

Unfortunately, my Multiplus is a Compact, which has a single AC out and only one relay. I do appreciate the thought though, as I could have perhaps rigged the hot-water start off of the Multiplus directly.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic