question

chad50 avatar image

2 Ve.Can MPPTs 1 Ve.Direct

I have a client with a 150/85 Ve.Can MPPT and 1260w of panels but he wants to add 840w more. Both of which charge the same battery bank. The current 150/85 is connected to a Color Control GX via a Ve.Direct cable. If I add another Ve.Can MPPT and use a RJ45 to connect them in parallel will the Ve.Direct to the GX display the information for both MPPTs?

I know that a RJ45 would of done this to the GX per the manual, but I can't find anywhere if the Ve.Direct will work the same.

Or should I just use the Smart Networking to put the MPPTs in parallel? And if I do that will the Ve.Direct send the info to the GX for both controllers?

The two MPPTs will be on different arrays and have thier own wires. It's just a pain to run another Ve.Direct or RJ45 to the GX, plus it will save the customer on labor cost.

MPPT - Solar Charge ControllerVE.DirectVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

If you decide to connect the controllers with VE.Can, then you need to continue the chain to the GX device (don't forget the terminators on the end devices :) ). The MPPT will not convert from VE.Can to VE.Direct.

The other option of course is to connect the other MPPT with VE.Direct also.
Either way, you'll need to run a cable.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I would like to know if I have 2 250/100 MPPT's each connected to my CCGX via VE.Direct do I need to put them on the Direct Smart Network or will the CCGX control both?

Just connect the VE.Direct cables to the CCGX.
Make sure there is no VE.Smart Networking between the MPPTs.

Another question sorry, which would be best 2 VE.direct cables to the CCGX or the 2 MPPTs daisy chained via VE.CAN?