question

sv-the-dream avatar image
sv-the-dream asked

Lithium schematics with Multiplus and auxiliary battery

Trying to educate myself before moving to lithium.6681142f-5b3c-4f3e-b0f6-709556c616eb.jpeg

Can anyone explain me why would I need to buy an extra equipment (blue smart charger) to charge the starter battery when the Multiplus 12|3000|120A 16A has a trickle charge cable for that same purpose?

My future set up would be with an AGM super cycle starter battery and lithium like in this scheme from Victron.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You can use the trickle charge output of the MultiPlus if you like.
The starter battery must also be 12V and the trickle charger is just that, ie. it is not a multi stage charger. The house battery and start battery must have their negatives common, like in the diagram.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sv-the-dream avatar image sv-the-dream commented ·

I understand that part but the scheme is only using equipment that runs at 12v and both battery banks are 12v but of different types. So that would be obvious I would think.

You reckon is a classic case of an overkill?

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ sv-the-dream commented ·

There can be reasons for this:

1.) you can choose a different charging voltage for the 2nd battery. Lithium and AGM most likely have different charging Voltages.

2.) trickle charge is limited in current (4A), you can choose a larger charger, to speed up charging.

BR

0 Likes 0 ·