question

DeVo Tyler avatar image
DeVo Tyler asked

12v vs 24v battery bank

I have a 100/50 CC with 3 100ah agm batteries with 10 100w panels I currently have the batteries in parallel, I plan to get 10 new 100ah agm battery eventually, so to maximize my charging capibilities what should I run? Can I keep the system 12 or should I go 24v I see a lot of people saying both.

Thanks guys

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@DeVo Tyler

There are advantages and disadvantages of both. But it does depend on what you are running. Are you using 12vdc system at all or running an inverter and if so how large an inverter? Higher voltage inverter systems are more efficient.

Wiring and balancing larger numbers of batteries can be a bit tricky as well. Check out the wiring unlimited book from Victron for more information. And maintenance is critical to battery life. Any reason why you are choosing to use Agm?

Have you used the victron online calculator for the mppt to check if your setup is ok?

Your 50amp charge controller if panelled correctly on a 12v system can charge up to 600w, but on a 24v system is 1200w. So really the main advantage of a higher volt system is the charging capabilites.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

DeVo Tyler avatar image
DeVo Tyler answered ·

I have a 12/3000 multiples not hooked up yet and the only dc loads will be lights in the cabin. I already have 10 100w panels, hooked up to a combiner box every 2 panels are connected in series and those go to the combiner box so 5 sets of 2 I have one more slot on my combiner box for another string.im using agm because it's way cheaper

2 |3000