question

franode avatar image
franode asked

VictronConnect v5.36beta: continuous Bluetooth scan

I use a SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 together with the macOS app VictronConnect, and a MacBook Air.

First of all, I would like to thank the hardware and software developers. I am very happy with the product and the development of the app.

I am referring to the upcoming introduction of the 'continuous Bluetooth scan', which can be tested in VictronConnect v5.36beta (macOS version).

This new feature requires significantly more processing power from the Mac, even when the window is not in the foreground. According to the Activity Monitor, about 20 % on average.
Only when I hide the app with the key combination cmd-H the energy consumption of the app and especially that of the 'WindowServer' process decrease.

The 'continuous Bluetooth scan' may certainly be useful for service technicians, as well as for Android and iOS devices.
For the desktop version, however, this means more keystrokes so that the laptop battery does not drain too quickly.
I know the Bluetooth range of my SmartSolar, the 'Scan' button is absolutely sufficient (for me).

I would therefore like to see a setting in the preferences to turn off the 'continuous Bluetooth scan'.

It would also be nice if VictronConnect saves the window size and position when you exit and restores it the next time you start it.

MPPT ControllersVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Thank you for your Input.

I will forward it to the VC devs.

BR

Markus

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

We are going to look into it. Could you please let me know the exact MacBook Air model?

2 |3000

franode avatar image
franode answered ·

Thanks for the replies,

It's a MacBook Air early 2015 (MacBookAir7,1).

It would be great if there would be a port to the new Apple Silicon chips soon. :)

And if the devs could also take a look at the current stable version 5.35 on a MacBook:
- Establish a Bluetooth connection to a SmartSolar charger
- close the lid, wait about a minute.
- Open the lid
- VictronConnect does not re-establish a proper Bluetooth connection when the Mac comes out of the sleep mode. Just old data is shown.

You have to quit and re-start the app then.

I have known this behaviour for as long as I have been using the app and have learned to deal with it.

Before the Bluetooth connection gets lost, I go back to the device list - mostly. ;)

2 |3000