question

scm23 avatar image
scm23 asked

Very loose (physical) connection between BlueSolar MPPT and VE.Direct cable

Hi

I have a BlueSolar Charger MPPT 75/15 in my camper van. I bought an additional VE.Direct to USB cable: 58849607-xxl.jpgConnecting the cable works and I can read the data from the solar charger on my raspberry. However, the connection between the cable and the solar charger is very loose. Even with the slightest touch, the cable falls out of the plug on the solar charger side. Is this normal? Does anybody else experience this problem? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks a lot!

VictronConnectVE.Direct
58849607-xxl.jpg (30.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @scm23, welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately what you describe is not all that uncommon... there's a really tough tradeoff in manufacturing between making the plug tight enough to not fall out and also loose enough that people don't break things trying to jam their VE.Direct connections into the port.

What I might suggest, because I've done it myself (though to be clear, this is not Victron-approved) is to take a very small flat-blade screwdriver or tiny needle-nose pliers and very slightly "spreading" the pins in the MPPT's VE.Direct port - that is, increasing their horizontal spacing very slightly. When done properly, this will create a little bit of extra friction between the port and the plug when you have your Interface connected.

Obviously a great deal of caution is to be used (though the pins are a lot more forgiving than they look), and after doing it be very careful when subsequently connecting the Interface to be sure that everything's still lining up properly... but it does help immensely when done right.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources