question

john-b avatar image
john-b asked

BYD B-box pro 13.8 state of health

I have two sets of BYD 13.8s with a 15000 Quattro and today have noticed the state of health of the batteries at only 66%. This is not a figure a looked at before but with the batteries being only 7 months old is there anything I should be doing to get them back to 100%?

I have solar and a generator to charge them. They were charging at the time I took these screenshots, initially at about 5kw (first pic) then higher current 10.7kw.

da202867-277c-4850-924c-0c49d8f49ca0.jpeg
ba2d9dfa-9370-4bb8-9230-670564e2958e.jpeg

Lithium Battery
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Maybe the cells are out of balance?!
I would try to charge the batteries to 100%.

0 Likes 0 ·
john-b avatar image john-b Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thanks for the reply, I will charge to 100% now.

0 Likes 0 ·
john-b avatar image john-b john-b commented ·

It has just finished charge to 100% but still showing 66% state of health ?a8a1607c-68ca-44cb-bb9f-8c29f056b8fe.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ john-b commented ·

Let it charge a while longer, it takes a while to balance the cells (if it is the problem).

If that doesn't solve the problem you should get in touch with the seller of the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image Ingo commented ·

I asked Freedomwon the question 'when should I be worried about SOH' and their reply to me basically boils down to the fact that it looks at a few variables and the biggest contributors seem to be cell balance and how often you charge to 100% or not. Just give it a few days to balance properly and do a few proper cycles back to 100% and I am sure the SOH will increase. Oh, according to Freedomwon, anything below 70% they would start looking at why that happens, perhaps BYD is similar.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
john-b avatar image
john-b answered ·

A quick update regarding this issue, I have been working with Anthony at Bimble Solar and BYD and found that one of the BMS units was faulty which is why my SOH was down at 66%.

The faulty BMS unit has now been replaced and all is well, back to 99% SOH.

Massive thank you to Anthony Brennan who contacted me directly about this issue and helped diagnose the fault. BYD support is fantastic and very efficient .

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

It would be good to have the process of finding the issue is public in case of someone running into the same problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
john-b avatar image john-b Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

It was simply a case of isolating each battery bank individually and reviewing the SOH on each bank, one bank was reading 100% and the other 32%. We ran individual banks for a couple of days and monitored SOH. It was clear which battery bank was at fault.

BYD actually diagnosed the fault with the help of Anthony @Bimble Solar.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources