question

vanish avatar image
vanish asked

Orion TR disable charge from VictronConnect

Is it fine to turn Orion TR 12/12 30 on/off in VictronConnect from disable charger toggle in settings? The app prompts a message stating it’s for workshop or system maintenance purpose only? Thanks

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Vanish

Charger enabled

Toggling this setting turns the Orion Smart off. The batteries will not be charged.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:orion_smart_dc-dc_charger#charger_mode

That's all the manual says about the function.

Mppts say the same thing when you switch off the charger.

So take it as you will, I dont see how it would damage anything, but it would be better to set up a switch on the remote port as shown in the manual and since you will be in the vicinity to use the bluetooth probably easier anyway.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ghostinthemachines avatar image
ghostinthemachines answered ·

The link provided on this page does not exist anymore. Is there any new information on this published somewhere? I want to experiment with enabling and disabling the charging function of the Orion TR Smart based on the different temperatures of the alternator before setting up my Cerbo GX relay to turn it on and off based on the temperature coming from the smart shunt that I have setup to monitor the alternator.

My thought is that eventually I will have the relay from the Cerbo GX and a remote kill switch at the helm wired in series so that an open circuit at either location shuts off the charging capability of the Orion TR Smart.

I would just like to know if I am running the risk of creating the same scenario that others have warned about where disengaging the main battery switch while running the engine can kill the regulator in the alternator.

2 |3000