question

tiziano avatar image
tiziano asked

How to replace AGM 12V with Lithium SuperPack Battery in my boat

I would like to replace the 2 AGM 12V 100Ah service battery of my sailing boat with 2 new Lithium SuperPack in parallel. The BMS is integrated. It will be a matter to simply plug the new batteries and set my 220V charger configuration to Lithium or do I need to consider something more?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

Look into the generator configuration, Lithium can charge quickly and overload your generator.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

randy-putnam avatar image
randy-putnam answered ·

Alternator consideration is important for same reason. I’m doing the same thing as you but with a power boat. My alternator is a 70amp “dumb” one so Im adding a Victron Orion Smart 12/12-30 DC/DC charger between the FLA starter battery and the new 2X100AH LFP house bank to keep the alternator charge to the LFP bank regulated. I also have 340W or solar panels going through a Victron Smart 100/30A MPPT solar controller to keep the LFP bank charged away from shore power.

There are about a zillion posts on this forum as well as Cruising and Sailors Forum about considerations on this subject. You’ll get some good advice on them but beware of following too many down the rabbit hole.

2 |3000

Related Resources