question

Talfan Stamps avatar image
Talfan Stamps asked

15kVA AC1 input clicking on off non stop and AC2 out misbehaving

Hi Victron gurus. I have a weird problem:

I had installed a 15kVA using AC2 as the mains input and AC1 for generator (don't ask me what possessed me to do that) It worked fine although I wanted to use GX gen start/stop relay and prevent switching off of relay if mains was present (AC1 - I realized I couldn't change it to AC2)

So I rewired - gen to AC2 and mains to AC1, as it should be.

Immediately on turning on, after the brief monitor period of incoming mains a relay could be heard clicking on, a brief, normal hum of inverter, then click off, and repeat, non stop.

After some time having turned off mains, I tried it again and it clicked a bit but then came alive and ran fine for a few days.

Next I knew, my AC2 out relay was behaving badly. AC2 out powers a line that has 3 relays on it. The "1st" relay is on GX gen start stop, running 2x cold rooms. Was working like clockwork, next I hear the cold rooms were coming on and then going off after a short time.

Conditions: Relay off >12000Watts for 10sec, relay on <10000Watts for 30 sec. Load of 2x cold rooms is 2500Watts together. Off if SOC <90%, on if SOC >95%, don't "run gen" if AC1 is present. Battery was 98% SOC...

Tong test revealed 30 to 40Amps drawing on AC2 (6 other drinks fridges on same line). I am still suspicious that this is higher than normal - yet to double check.

Back to problem 1: I remotely sent updated settings, as I checked my parameters for AC2. The moment the inverter rebooted, my chap on site reported the return of the dreaded AC1 input clicking....

When mains is turned off the clicking stops.

System installed in a 3 phase building using one phase. Voltage sitting at 202Volts. No voltage fluctuation to speak of during the clicking event.

I tried changing to a different phase - same problem and same low 202Volts.

0.62V between neutral and ground on mains side.

Inverter output 2 pole isolators switched off - no difference (both AC1 and AC2 outs)

Am yet to try putting mains back to AC2 input, but this will be a fruitless exercise as it needs to work on AC1.

Any clues??? Is the inverter bust? If so howww?

cheers, Tal

I tried to attach audio but was told I can't attach such a file type................ Victron Community??

Relay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Talfan Stamps answered ·

Update on the 15kVA problem:

I neglected to mention the sound as the inverter was powered on that was like a screw rattling inside.

I took the inverter in to the dealer for checking. They said it was ok. No problem manifested on their bench. Took it back, immediately started clicking again and AC2 hassling.

I asked for a new 15kVA inverter. Installed that. A bit of clicking on off initially but then all was well, everything has been working fine for 1 month, so it seems the first inverter was faulty out the box.

Of late have been seeing an overload warning when mains suddenly fails while system is running at 7kW output with mains supplying the load.... Yet to get to the bottom of this...

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

What firmware are you running? v478 should help with 'bad grid' situations.

0 Likes 0 ·
Talfan Stamps answered ·

I'll get the audio uploaded to our Facebook page and attach a link

2 |3000

bruces avatar image
bruces answered ·

202V ??? Where are you? What country?

1 comment
2 |3000

Talfan Stamps avatar image Talfan Stamps commented ·

A backward country called Zimbabwe :D Supposed to be 240V

0 Likes 0 ·
dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

Can yo utry remove all your assistants and then test to ensure it is not one of the assistants that is causing the issue.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic