question

24x7x365 avatar image
24x7x365 asked

Replacement for Sargent PX-300 charger

I have a (2017) Swift Select motorhome, complete with Sargent EC500 system, including the PX-300 charger/power supply.

As the PX-300 is a low-tech charger (wasn't designed to meet the needs of modern AGM batteries etc) I want to replace the PX-300 with a suitable Victron unit. Current preference is the 25 amp BlueSmart IP67 charger (the PX-300 is also 25 Amp). As an alternative I could fit the BlueSmart IP22 - however this is only available in 20 and 30 amp outputs. (30 is too much, but I think the 20 would be fine.

The crux of my question relates to the 12v 'mains on' trigger feed I need to send back to the EC500. Sargents PX-300 PSU has a 12v output which is used to tell the EC500 that the mains is connected so the system knows that mains is available. How could I achieve this with a Victron charger? (data sheet/manual is on this link: https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/px300_charger/152)

I'm considering:

A: buying the 20A BlueSmart IP22 unit with 3 outputs, and using one of these as the trigger for the EC500 'mains on signal'- however this seems like overkill and means I lose 5amps of power (as Victron don't do a 25amp version of this charger, and 30A would be more than my 130Ah leisure batt could take)

B: buying the 25A BlueSmart IP67 unit and using some sort of diode arrangement so that the 'mains on' signal would work when 12 is flowing from the charger to the battery, but not when power is flowing only from the battery - however this would be a real faff to set up and wouldn't be particularly elegant.

I've noticed on the pictures of the IP67, there's also a small orange cable - however it isn't clear what this is for and the manuals don't mention it. Is it possible this is a 12v trigger feed - or is this a temperature probe or similar?

Any thoughts would be very welcome. I'm confident others will have done this - so please share your experience.

Kind regards, Richard

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
24x7x365 avatar image
24x7x365 answered ·

Nobody has any thoughts on this?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve avatar image
Steve answered ·

Hi, I am looking to do the same kind of thing. I have tge same sargent setup as you in our autotrail. How about this:- keep the sargent charger as well as the new victron one, remove the charger output wires from the sargent plug and connect these to the victron so leaving the sargent 12v trigger to continue as before. The mains input to the victron would in this scenario be done by splitting the mains input to the sargent charger. Hth

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The orange wire on the IP67 (only for the 12/25 and 24/12 models) is called the Si or Start Interrupt signal. It is maximum 500mA at about 1V below the output Voltage. The intention of this signal is to prevent vehicle starting if the mains, hence shore lead, is connected.
This would most likely work to trigger the EC500, though I don't know anything about the EC500 to be honest.

1619886506145.png

1619886506145.png (23.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic