question

rocketmanmonaco avatar image
rocketmanmonaco asked

CAN Bus Cable for CCGX

In my MotorHome RV, I currently have a BMV-712 cable ran from the batteries to the CCGX (It was a lot of work). I am installing lithium batteries and using a Batrium BMS and will be attaching the Batrium to the CCGX on the CAN-Bus.

Since I will no longer need the BMV-712 (The Batrium has a shunt) I was wondering if I could use the 712's communication wire for the CAN-Bus wire. As I remember they are both RJ-45 wires connections. (I cannot check because the RV is several hours away).

I will have to cut the 712's wire to tie into the Batrium, but I think I can just plug the 712's wire into the CAN-Bus.

Am I correct??? Is the 712's wire twisted enough to use as a CAN Bus Wire?

Does the CAN-Bus wire need to be twisted? I also have an old inverter control wire that is 4 wires - looks like old telephone wire with RJ-12 ends, Could this wire also be used for the CAN-Bus wire? (if I put a RJ45 end on it).

Thanks

BMV Battery MonitorCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @RocketmanMonaco

Yes, CANbus needs to be twisted indeed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.