question

crewm8 avatar image
crewm8 asked

Multiplus not charging after battery wired backwards

I am having a lot of problems after someone mistakenly wired 2 of 8 batteries the wrong way.

How can I go about diagnosing if the Multiplus unit is destroyed, can be repaired or needs to be replaced? The batteries are no longer charging via 110 and the inverter does not function, however the inverter may not be working simply because it's not charging enough. Currently, as far as I can tell a connected windgenerator is, in fact, charging the batteries, although obviously not completely. At this time, the "charger" light on the face of the panel is blinking. The Digital Multi Control indicates "mains on" and "float" are lit.

Specs are:

Multiplus Compact 12 volt | 2000va | 80amp

8 Lifeline AGM batteries GPL-4CT, 6 Volt in (2 banks of 4 batteries each)

There are two labels inside the unit, although I do not know which one indicates the model number

2008139C.VFF

and

CMP12/2000

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Pretty sure that model has an internal fuse. So check that. It’s under the front cover so remove the four screws.

Isolator off before you do it as well btw!

And I would double check the polarity with a meter on the whole installation!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

As jwfrary mentioned check the internal fuse (take it out to do that probably).

Your unit seems to be very old so if there is more blown then the fuse there is no way to repair it.

2 |3000

crewm8 avatar image
crewm8 answered ·

Thanks guys. It turned out to be the fuse!

2 |3000